Author Topic: Remoterig via 3G and through a VPN  (Read 14222 times)

dj1yfk

• View Profile
Remoterig via 3G and through a VPN
« on: 2010-04-12, 10:04:45 »
Hello,

we're doing some experiments with the remoterig controller and a TS480 at the club station. Within the LAN, everything works as expected, but we've got problems to get things working with a connection from the outside.

The configuration is as shown in the attached figure. The radio side is connected via DSL, but the only way into the network is via a Windows VPN. The TRX-controller is connected to the LAN at the club station and has the IP address 192.168.2.228. The controller-side is connected to the internet via UMTS on a netbook. The netbook connects to the VPN and receives an IP-address in the VPN space; in the figure it's 192.168.254.10. On the netbook side, the LAN address is 192.168.0.1, and the TS480-frontpanel has the IP address 192.168.0.227.

From an additional PC within the LAN on the netbook side, it is possible to connect to the TS480 at the club station side via the VPN, by it's own IP address 192.168.2.228, by http. On the VPN side, everything coming from behind the network naturally appears as coming from 192.168.254.10.

Now from the VPN it is not possible to connect the TS480-frontpanel via http, because as mentioned, everything in the LAN (192.168.0.x) behind the netbook appears as 192.168.254.10 on the VPN, and if I send a http request to that address, it will end at the netbook which has no http server running and cannot know that it is supposed to route the packets to the TS480-frontpanel.

So as far as I understand, the packet flow from the TS480-frontpanel to the TRX is OK, but the routing back fails. Thus, nothing happens when I try to switch the radio on.

My experience with networking is rather limited. Are my assumptions correct? Does anyone know of a solution to get the remoterig running through the network as described (i.e. UMTS on the frontpanel side, VPN on the TRX side)?

The usage of the VPN is currently mandatory (DSL connection shared with other users; security concerns, etc.), but if there is no solution, we'll have to get a separate DSL connection for the club station.

Thanks and 73, Fabian Dj1YFK

dj4mz

• View Profile
Re: Remoterig via 3G and through a VPN
« Reply #1 on: 2010-04-13, 13:04:50 »
Hi Fabian,

I also use my RRC installation via a VPN connection, on the control side both DSL and UMTS work. Only difference to your setup is, that I have a hardware solution for VPN instead of the Windows software.

From my unterstanding, if the VPN is configured properly it should be fully transparent, so communication from the 192.168.0.x network to the 192.168.2.x network should be possible from either side to the other. The additional network/IP 192.168.254.10 should not be visible at all (to be honest, I don't understand for what it is required in your setup).

Just for clarification. A client in the 192.168.0.x network can connect to the RRC-Radio controller, but a client in the 192.168.2.x network can not connect to the RRC-Control controller?

So as far as I understand, the packet flow from the TS480-frontpanel to the TRX is OK, but the routing back fails. Thus, nothing happens when I try to switch the radio on.

My experience with networking is rather limited. Are my assumptions correct?
If you really can see the RRC-Radio Webpage then the routing should be ok.

Maybe it is easier to discuss by phone (feel free to call me) or even better during a "meeting" in one of our local bars ;-)

Best 73, Simon DJ4MZ

EA5WA

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Remoterig via 3G and through a VPN
« Reply #2 on: 2013-11-27, 23:32:47 »
I'm having problems trying to connect at Radio side using a usb 3g modem + router. The problem is that my ISP only gives private IPs such as 10.xxx.xxx.xxx.
Is posible to connect both RRC using a VPN? How could I do it?

Thanks, 73's from Juan Carlos EA5WA
73's from EA5WA Juan Carlos