Author Topic: CW Problems  (Read 10224 times)

AD4ES

• View Profile
    • Email
CW Problems
« on: 2013-12-10, 04:29:25 »
I use remote rig only for voice and CW. Rig control is done via another method. I am using firmware version 2.75. When I send CW some dits are missing.  The key has been replaced with the same result.  The Letter "C" is a good test. Usually the last dit is missing. It seems that 15-35 WPM it happens almost always and faster WPM seems to not happen at all. The problem exists whether I am set to 6 watts or 1500.  Can anyone point me in the correct direction?

Chuck
Chuck  AD4ES

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: CW Problems
« Reply #1 on: 2013-12-10, 10:17:07 »
I guess you need to add a tail to the PTT. Look at Keyer settings in the Radio-RRC

/mike

AD4ES

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2013-12-11, 05:05:23 »
Thank you for the great and logical suggestion. I went to the radio site and changed the tail from 0 to 30 milliseconds as a wild guess. I am at the remote site now and I note 2 things. The problem still exists but is less frequent.  I also note that after the last dit there is a definite detectable delay before the receiver audio can be heard. Tomorrow I will bump up the delay to 60 milliseconds to see if the problem persists. I suspect doing so will make the delay in receive audio unacceptable....but I'll try that out and see what happens with transmitting.  I have to wonder if letting the keying control PTT might be a better choice.

Chuck
Chuck  AD4ES

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2013-12-11, 10:10:21 »
Why do have to go to radiosite  to change the settings, that can be done remotely ?
Changing the tail delay without "activativate PTT by keyer" should not make any difference .

/mike

AD4ES

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2013-12-11, 13:44:42 »
Thank you for reminding me that the icon I created at the radio end does not require the USB connection and is an Internet link to radio control. I set the tail delay to 999 and keyer activates PTT. No joy. Same issue. In sending a string of C's about every 3rd one misses the last dit. Occasionally it will not be the last dit that is missing. Internet upload speed at remote is 1 meg and download speed at radio is 50 meg.
Chuck  AD4ES

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2013-12-11, 13:51:55 »
It's impossible if you are using the built in keyer function

/mike

AD4ES

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2013-12-12, 00:13:00 »
Then this means 1 of 2 things that I can think of. The first would be I do not know how to turn on the internal keyer function. The second is that the PTT tail, which I hear by the delayed receive audio, is not the cause of the missing dits.  The missing dits ARE real. So if what I am saying is impossible there would have to be another cause for the problem.  Recall that it is not always the final dit that is missing.
Chuck  AD4ES

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2013-12-12, 02:52:54 »
I am not sure what your problem is, but CW works just great. Here is my checklist for getting
CW to work (I wrote it for the TS-480, but it should be quite generic):

CW Checklist
------------------------------
on the radio RRC:
- under keyer settings, set PTT activated by keyer to YES
- under I/O settings, change OUT2 mode to KEYER

on the control RRC:
- under keyer settings, set enable to YES
- change other keyer settings as desired
- under I/O settings, set IN0 mode to KEYER

Make sure that the cable is connected between the radio RRC and rig's key jack. If possible, use
a mono plug on the rig side, since stereo can cause problems under certain situations (e.g. FSK).

In addition, you can adjust the settings under the control RRC for CW delay, etc. as Mike mentioned.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX (currently in Florida)

AD4ES

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2013-12-13, 04:19:43 »
Problem solved. Thank you both for your help. The PTT activated by keyer helped with a problem I would have eventually had as the FTdx5000 delay has to be different for cw and phone. Now I have very good control of the cw transmit tail and leave the radio break-in feature off. Setting the tail to 150 ms worked for me but did not solve the missing dits.  Changing the keyer from Iambic A to Iambic B did solve the issue.  I use a Vibrokeyer key which is NOT Iambic.  I didn't think Iambic A or B would make a difference for a Vibrokeyer key but it sure did. With regard to I/O settings at the remote controller my IN0 mode is set to I/O not keyer as you suggested. I do not know if I should change IN0 to keyer as things are working correctly at this time.  What is the impact if I do not change it to keyer?
Chuck  AD4ES

EA5WA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2013-12-13, 08:53:58 »
Hi there:

If I'm not wrong, IN0 must be set as "keyer" if you want to use a straight morse key or a PC for keying at the control side.

73's
73's from EA5WA Juan Carlos

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2013-12-13, 12:32:21 »
 yes keyer must aleays be activated even if you have an external keyer. Connect the ext keyer to In0 and set it to keyer mode /mike

AD4ES

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2013-12-14, 13:14:52 »
Thank you. Right now I only use a key (Vibrokeyer is a trade name and is hardware only) and PC keying occurs with logging software located at the radio which I control remotely using Teamviewer8. However, discretion being the better part of valor, I will change IN0 to keyer. 73. Chuck.
Chuck  AD4ES

EA5WA

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2013-12-14, 22:02:08 »
in your case, using a manual key not a paddle, you should put in0 as keyer, using the pin 4 and ground.Is the same when you are using a straight morse key. I think you also must remove the PTT activated by keyer.
With this configuration you are not going to have any problem related with latency.

Try it, it's easy to go back if you don't like.

73's
73's from EA5WA Juan Carlos