Author Topic: IPhone 4S as Wifi / WLan Accesspoint for RR- Please help!  (Read 4350 times)

DL3ECN

• View Profile
    • Email
Dear all,

please can anybody help:
My configuration: Icom IC706MK2G, RR1258 MKII from Oct.2013- Work's fine over Internet...but then...

I have installed the WLAN Adapter to my 1258 RR. With the WLAN frome my local Fritzbox it work's fine.
Then I configured my IPhone4S as a WLAN AP. (The plan: Would like to use it in the car)
problems:
The LIST with in the Wifi AP's configuration of the 1258 Remote seems doesn't work- I have added (detected) both WLANs in the list but only one works. If I switch the local WLAN in the house off, I get network error.
After configuring manualy the IPhone Wifi AP it seems to work: I switched it on, the Icom706 came to life, Display works...but the audio is distorted, it only sounds grrt...grrt...grrt-
Because the Iphone has no network configuration options but only Wifi AP on/ off, I would appreciate any hint's on it.
Btw: The IPhone Wifi AP works well for my tablet or other devices.
So what is the reason?
Please- any ideas or  at least hint's which hardware/ concept  is fine for /mobile use of the RR1258 would be appreciated.
TNX in advance!

vy73
Mike
DL3ECN

K9SO

• View Profile
Re: IPhone 4S as Wifi / WLan Accesspoint for RR- Please help!
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-22, 12:06:30 »
Hi Mike,

It sounds like you're just bandwidth-limited with your iPhone AP. The IC-706 control head communicates with the radio at a relatively slow data rate (19.2Kbps), but the audio link needs more. With my normal settings (linear 16b, 12KHz) my system needs about 200-250Kbps of LAN speed.

If your cellular system is 3G GSM (EDGE) you're pretty much at the limit of the data rate (200Kbps is the max under good condx). If you're in an LTE (4G) coverage area, you might have better luck. You can, of course, play around with different audio settings in the RemoteRig and see if it helps lowering the data rate.

Vodaphone has fairly good LTE coverage in most major German cities, but I think they may sell a tiered data rate. But LTE data on the cellular networks is not necessarily time-sensitive as is needed with the audio feed. The normal cellphone audio path and the LTE data paths are different.  Maybe when all the cellular networks move to VoLTE (Voice over LTE), we can get this to work.

I'm no expert in this area, but maybe we can get a conversation going here. This would certainly be the "ultimate HF mobile".

Fred
WA9MVZ