Author Topic: Can I operate voice, cw, AND digital modes BOTH locally and remotely (IC-7100)  (Read 5334 times)

2E0JKJ

• View Profile
Hi All;

I have a question for the board:

Can I operate voice, cw, AND digital modes BOTH locally and remotely with RemoteRig?

I’ve got an Icom IC-7100 rig.

I have been reading about remote rig and it looks to be the answer to my requirements; however I am not clear on the connections and capabilities as a whole.  I understand the connection example in the manual and on this website, but would like to work other modes both local and remote and in this regard it is not clear, so I am thinking it cannot be done.

Assume “standard” recommended connection for an Icom IC-7100 radio - the one given in the manual and website for the IC-7100 rig.

From the Remote (i.e. from the IC-7100 front panel), you can:
1) Operate any voice mode.

2) Operate CW with the key wired into the RemoteRig.

At the base you can:
1) Operate nothing without the original front panel

But I would also like to run digital modes, and be able to do so at both ends.  I would also like to have the IC-7100 front panel remain at the remote location and be able to operate the base locally via a computer.

Can you connect the rig up as in the Icom CI-V Digital mode example (http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=450) - no need for the signalLink as that is “built-in” to the rig itself, right?

So here are the questions:

1) Specifically, I would like to operate PSK31, JT9 and WSPR remotely and locally, is this possible?

2) If I connect a USB from the Remote RemoteRig to a computer will that give me remote digital capability?

3) If I connect a USB from the Base rig to a computer will that give me all-modes & control and use from the base station via a computer without the front panel?

4) Can I connect the remote remote rig to a computer for computer control of the base radio?

5) Can I connect a computer at the base via USB and operate locally to the base using computer control (i.e. Icom Remote sw & Bluetooth headset?

I believe you can do this for some of the rigs, but the example with the IC-7100 leaves out the USB connection so this is not clear.

Many thanks.

de 2E0JKJ John

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
There where a lot of questions.

IC-7100 can be used without the control panel, if you control it from a PC via CI-V so you can chose to have the control panel at either side or carry it with you.

The remoterig can handle Phone, CW, RTTY and those Digital mode where you can use the Mic input and the speaker output for the audio like PSK31

The Control-RRC can be connected to a PC via USB , it present virtual comports for the PC-programs.

The Radio-RRC can only be connected to the radio via analog interfaces.

I think this 4 lines clearify most of your questions

73 de mike

2E0JKJ

• View Profile
Thanks for the answers Mike!  Makes things more clear.

1) How long can the Cat5 cable be from the Radi-RRC and the IC-7100? Can I run this through a Cat5 network - so my RemoteRig is remote from the IC-7100 head!?

2) How is the analogue audio in and out fed connection made on the Control-RRC? 

73 de 2E0JKJ

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
1/ I would not make it longer than the orginal cable from ICOM as it it 38400 baud and only TTL levels.

2/ there are schematcis , showing the audio interfaces in the manual

/mike