Author Topic: Webswitch 1216H, 1216L-5 - Can't find any 1-W device on BUS-A  (Read 6076 times)

W4AFK

• View Profile
    • Email
I need some assistance with my 1216H Webswitch and my 1216L. My goal is to use this to remotely manage a HAM-IV rotator.

At this stage, I have no rotator connected as I am getting familiar on how to configure this at home before a live setup, so my connections are only the Ethernet cable, the USB cable, the DC power (both devices) and the BUS-A 1-wire connection (which is really two wires, “BUS –A” and “0” per the online diagram)

•   Connected +12Vdc to the 1216H

•   Connected the USB cable and configured the 1216H
           I updated the F/W in the 1216H Webswitch to 4.0 (Ham use)

•   I then connected the 1216L to the 1216H per the on-line diagram
      Power in parallel
          1216H #9 “BUS-A” to 1216L 1-W “+“
      1216H #10 “0” to 1216L 1-W “-”

•   When I power the system, the green LED on the 1216L blinks fast then settles @ around 1/second

•   I then connect to the 1216H via my browser (Ethernet cable from router).

•   I followed the instructions regarding “ham mode”, set some rotator controls, etc. BUT it doesn’t work!

•   Problem: When I scan for 1-Wire devices on BUS A, it always says “No Bus-A 1-wire devices found!”
            The 1216H does not seem to see the 1216L-5

So essentially, it seems like the 1216H cannot see the 1216L-5 even though the green LED is flashing at 1/second on the 1216L-5. BUT... On the “System Info” page of the 1216H, it shows "1216L HW >=5, FW 5", which seems to say that it does see the 1216L (which is confusing as it can't find it when scanning BUS-A)

So please help me out here… what am I missing???

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
The 1216L-5 is a 1-wire device which does not need to be scanned like the other "generic" devices. The only thing you have to do is to select if it is on BUS A or B in the rotator settings.  So the fact that the 1216L-5 blinks approx once per second and the System Info page shows "1216L HW >=5, FW 5" means that everything works as expected. If there  is no connection to the 1216L-5 it would have said "HW >= 5, disconnected".

Regarding the name "1-wire" I assume it is due to the fact that the data itself goes both ways in just "one wire"  ;)
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

W4AFK

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks Jan... I will have a look tonight when I get back from work  ;)

W4AFK

• View Profile
    • Email
Feedback --> The 1216L-5 & Webswitch 1216H work fine thanks to Jan's info. I actually misread the instructions and assumed that I had to scan the 1-W BUS-A. As the rotator and control is not at my home, I could not fully test it but I have enough experience now to wire it up at my remote base on Saturday.

Suggestion --> The 1216L-5 "manual" is spread across many webpages. It would be helpful if we could download the entire manual as one file. I had to print page by page so that I could have something on paper :-)

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Since the Webswitch has a built-in help system the information needed to make that work cannot be a single downloadable manual. Supporting both the existing webpage based system and an "one file manual" would of course be the best, but takes much more resources to maintain.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

W4AFK

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks for the info, the 1-W problem is fixed. I have another question but I will start a new topic :-)