Author Topic: Cabling Question for TS-480  (Read 9204 times)

k0mdd

• View Profile
Cabling Question for TS-480
« on: 2014-02-25, 17:58:24 »
I just want to make sure that I have the cabling figured out so I can access the Radio unit. It appears to me that I need to fabricate a straight-through serial cable from the COM port on the TS-480 to the COM2 port on the 1258 Radio end. Is this right? What about the COM settings? To say the "documentation" for this product could be improved is a vast understatement!

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Cabling Question for TS-480
« Reply #1 on: 2014-02-25, 18:11:58 »
You do not need any cables for the com ports. You only need two cables of the type which goes from the control panel to the radio in the orginal setup. Included in the kit from Kenwood is two cables one short and one long. Use the short one between the Radio and the Radio-RRC and the long one from Control-panel to control-RRC.

73 de mike

k0mdd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-02-25, 18:14:35 »
I have the connection between the Control and Radio working fine. Do I not need a com cable between the Radio and the TS-480 so I can use ARCP? If not, how should I configure the Micro software?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-02-25, 18:23:00 »
Yes if you want that you need a RS-232 cable between com2 and the radio CAT port. When controlling from RRC-Micro it's like any Kenwood without Control-panel. Setup the correct parameters for COM2 in the Radio-RRC, The Radio RRC will then automatically  change the settings temporarily during the time you are connected with the RRC-Micro so you do not need to change any settings when alternating between panel and RRC Micro

/mike

k0mdd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-02-25, 18:29:27 »
OK, now about the RRC-Micro software. What COM settings do I use there? We have COM1 and COM2 on the 1258, but we have COM0-COM2 on the software. Should I choose COM2?

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2014-02-25, 18:45:34 »
One of my RemoteRig checklists covers how to use CAT. It is short enough, that I was able
to add it below.

For the Micro PC Client, you also use COM2.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

CAT CHECKLIST
---------------------
In both scenarios, you MUST first install a standard serial cable between the TS-480 body and COM2 of the radio RRC!

USING A STANDARD SERIAL CABLE
============================
1) Change the CAT rate on the TS-480 to 4800 baud (menu 56). This rate keeps traffic over the internet to a minimum and faster is not necessary for CAT.

2) Change the COM2 serial settings of the radio-RRC to mode-4, 4800 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1 and submit/apply changes.

3) Change the COM2 serial settings of the control-RRC to mode-4, 4800 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1 and submit/apply changes.

4) Plug a serial cable in between your PC and the control-RRC COM2

5) Set your software to use the correct COM port on your PC at 4800-8-1-N

USING A USB CABLE
=================
1) Change the CAT rate on the TS-480 to 4800 baud (menu 56). This rate keeps traffic over the internet to a minimum and faster is not necessary for CAT.

2) Change the COM2 serial settings of the radio-RRC to mode-4, 4800 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1 and submit/apply changes.

3) Install the Microbit Setup Manager if you already haven't. You don't need the problem for this, but this installs the correct drivers on your PC.

4) Change the COM2 serial settings of the control-RRC to mode-4, 4800 baud, data bits 8, stop bits 1, "use USB Com Port as COM2" to "Yes" and submit/apply changes.

5) Plug a USB cable between your PC and control-RRC. Make sure you do NOT do his before step 3 above!

6) Find out the correct port in your Windows Device Manager to use by looking for the "Microbit RRC Virtual COM Port (COM2)"

7) Set your software to use the this COM port on your PC at 4800-8-1-N.

k0mdd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-02-25, 18:56:34 »
Thanks Mitch. I follow your instructions up to the point where I connect a serial cable between a PC and the Control. The Control panel is at home. I am attempting to connect from my office over the internet using ARCP and the RRC-Micro client. I understand what's basically happening between the RRC-Micro software and the Radio unit. ARCP looks for a COM port to control the 480 with, and the RRC-Micro software "hooks" the COM port so that the ARCP commands are sent to the 480 via the Radio unit from the internet connection. I'm just confused about the whole COM0-COM2 thing on the Micro software and how to interface all that with the COM2 port on the Radio. I actually have the RRC-Micro software talking to the Radio unit now via the SIP connection. I think the remaining issue is connecting the serial cable and then configuring the serial parameters...the latter is what I am still confused about.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2014-02-25, 19:06:11 »
Your problem is that you only can use one device at a time on one serial port. In the case of the Micro
PC Client, you must connect that software using COM2 to the RRC at the radio end, which of course will
only work when the serial cable is attached between the rig and RRC and configured on that end.

Ignore COM0, on Kenwood that is used as a proprietary connection between the control panel and radio
and you can not use it.

Your solution is either use a serial port splitter on your PC, or else change the COM1 settings on the radio
RRC to mode-7. This should allow you to access a second software using the Micro PC Client's virtual COM1
port. Note that COM1 and COM2 do not have to have the same baud rates.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k0mdd

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-02-25, 20:15:40 »
I don't see why I would have a problem at all. My situation is almost exactly like the diagram (edited slightly to clarify) shown in the web site as follows:

It appears to me that all I would need to do is connect the 480 and the Radio RRC with a straight thru cable through the COM port and then configure the settings. If this won't work, I'll have to return my microphone dongle for a refund.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2014-02-25, 20:42:53 »
We are talking about two completely different things here. I was writing about how to use the dongle and
software on the control side, because I understood that as your question. You were writing about ARCP and
the dongle, which is why I gave you that answer.

Now I see that you have moved back to the radio side, which I understood was clarified before by the
previous posts. As long as the serial cable is plugged in between the rig and RRC and configured (see my
checklist), then this all you need to get the rest working.

Honestly, you have now completely lost me. I do not understand your problem....please explain what it
is you need that was not already answered earlier. Apologies if I am dense, but I obviously don't get it.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

k0mdd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-02-25, 20:49:40 »
Actually, I think through the process of reading your responses, and playing with the Micro software, I now understand how to proceed. Rather than take more time, I'll make up the serial cable, connect the 480 body to the RRC-Radio and see if I can get the two of them to talk to each other. When I started this thread I wasn't sure I needed a cable. I now think I've put the whole thing together in my mind.  Thanks again for your help!

k0mdd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-02-26, 15:02:47 »
Just to tie this one off, I fabricated the cable and voila, it works! Thanks for your help