Author Topic: 1216L-5 & Ham-IV rotator control.... interconnection question  (Read 4551 times)

W4AFK

• View Profile
    • Email
OK... I have the 1216L-5 configured but when it was time to connect it to the Ham-IV rotator control (analog), I encountered a dilemma.

The BRAKE release line controlled by switch S3 is NOT available on the rear terminal. The 8 screw terminals on the back are CW (5), CCW (6), PWR (2), GND (1), POT+ (3), POT- (7), Capacitor (4) and Capacitor (8')... 4 & 8 are not connected to the 1216L

I would like to see how those of you who use the Ham-IV rotator connected your 1216L to the control box.

Looking at the schematic, it seems as if I need to open the controller box and solder two wires to the BRAKE switch (S3) and bring them out. This is the only way I can see how we can activate the BRAKE release switch.

Am I missing something here?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
I recommend that you put the 1216L inside the Rotator box and solder the wires direct to the switches. As the brake switch is handling 110-230V it's better to keep everything inside the Rotatator box to avoid accidents.

/mike

W4AFK

• View Profile
    • Email
Thanks Mike... as I suspected, I need to access the BRAKE switch (yep... one side is "hot").

By the way, I had planned on leaving the 1216L outside the box as it is being placed in a small "Tupperware type", quasi-sealed enclosure as is the 1216H (a separate one). The main reasons were to keep them accessible and as these are in a garage, I also wanted to keep the "biological" bugs away :-)