Author Topic: sync 2 Icoms via RRC-1258  (Read 4403 times)

M0YEC

• View Profile
sync 2 Icoms via RRC-1258
« on: 2010-05-25, 11:47:29 »
Hi,

I just wonder if anyone tried to sync two Icom transceivers with the RRC-1258[MKII]. In detail, some Icom transceivers offer a feature called "CI-V Transceive"; here is how the manual of my IC-756III explains it:

"CI-V Transceive Transceive operation is possible with the IC-756PROIII connected to other Icom HF transceivers or receivers. When “ON” is selected, changing the frequency, operating mode, etc. on the IC-756PROIII automatically changes those of connected transceivers (or receivers) and vice versa."

I suspect one could also sync an IC-7000 and a IC-756 for example, but I have not tried. Anyway, if one TRX was placed at the control side and the other at the remote location, would it be possible to use the RCC-1258 to remote control one via the other?

Many thanks for your thoughts!!
Christoph

dj4mz

• View Profile
Re: sync 2 Icoms via RRC-1258
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-25, 13:54:06 »
Hi Christoph,

interesting thought! I haven't tried myself, so everything written below is pure speculation, but:

Synchronizing two Icom Rigs is done on the CI-V side, but as Icom CAT-Interfaces don't do anything other than level converting from TTL-level to RS232 level I would expect that connecting two CAT-Interfaces back to back will behave more or less the same than directly connecting CI-V. I use CI-V transceive with my remote IC-706MKIIG and a homemade CAT-Interface at the remote side tunneled via COM2 of the Remoterig-Boxes and that works perfectly for example with Win-Test and CAT switched to "Don't poll + Use CI-V tranceive". Unfortunately I don't have a second CAT-Interface with real RS232-port and therefore can not test.

I think you will have to use a Null-Modem-Type cable at the local side but haven't thought about that in detail yet.

Would be interesting to hear if you have success.

Good luck ;)
Simon (DJ4MZ)

M0YEC

• View Profile
Re: sync 2 Icoms via RRC-1258
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-27, 10:11:18 »
Hi Simon,

many thanks for sharing your thoughts, which agree with what I would expect to happen. Unfortunately, I do neither own 2 Icoms nor the RRC, so I have no easy way to confirm that things actually work. However, I keep on trying to get the missing parts and will let you know about the results!

73 de Christoph