Author Topic: Remote access behind NAT firewall  (Read 4270 times)

KA4JXT

• View Profile
    • Email
Remote access behind NAT firewall
« on: 2010-06-09, 03:30:20 »
Let me restate my earlier post because I have had no suggestions. 

QUESTION:  Is it possbile to connect over the internet to my TS-2000 if the remote internet access using the RC-2000 is behind a NAT firewall?  Everything works perfectly when connected directly to the internet but not when connected to the internet through a NAT firewall on the remote end. 

Thanks. 

Bob

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Remote access behind NAT firewall
« Reply #1 on: 2010-06-09, 07:38:17 »
Hi Bob.
Of course it is possible, that's how all users are doing. But you have to configure portforwarding or of the ports 80,5060,11000,12000 in the remote router. Or even more simple is to assign the RRC as DMZ server. All done in the remote router at the radio-QTH. Nothing has to be done at the control site router. If you are using IP-telephony at any of the QTH.s change the port 5060 in the RRC:s to something else for example 11001. Also remember to deactivate SIP ALG if your router has something like that ( d-link and netgear routers often has). Port 80 is not needed for the communication but is handy to use for status control, firmware upgrade etc. If port 80 is prohibited by the ISP, as I heard some US ISP are doing to prevent home webservers, just change the web server port to for example 8000 in the remote RRC.

73 de mike

KA4JXT

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Remote access behind NAT firewall
« Reply #2 on: 2010-06-13, 02:46:53 »
Mike,

Thanks for the response.  I have everything set up and it is all working properly over the internet but from some locations I can not connect.  I will change the SIP port on both ends just in case the hotel is using 5060 or blocking it for some reason.

Thanks,
Bob