Author Topic: Rx stream hiccupping about every 10 seconds  (Read 10543 times)

K7FD

• View Profile
Rx stream hiccupping about every 10 seconds
« on: 2014-07-01, 03:07:03 »
I am using Remote Rig firmware 2.78 and TS-480SAT. Internet connection is provided by AT&T/iPhone 5S hotspot and a Netgear WNCE2001 Wifi Adapter. Rx jitter 6, jitter delay 7, audio quality 1, Dynamic DNS through Remote Rig.

The problem is the receive audio has a hiccup about every 10 seconds making listening uncomfortable. Any suggestions to fix these dropouts?

Thanks,

John K7FD

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Rx stream hiccupping about every 10 seconds
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-01, 08:44:58 »
If it's very periodical it may be the Netgear Wifi accesspoint who tries different modes, try to set it to a fixed mode.

/mike

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-01, 20:29:13 »
The droputs on receive occur at random...some times 3 seconds between droputs and sometimes 7 or 8 seconds...

According to the reports I receive on the air, the droputs on transmit are less, more on receive...

John K7FD

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-01, 23:42:37 »
I can make the time greater between receive audio dropouts by changing jitter buffer to 16 and jitter delay to 15...and making packet size 40. But the dropouts are still there, just spaced further apart now...every 7 to 12 seconds instead of every 3 to 7 seconds...

Any ideas?

73 John K7FD

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-02, 15:29:40 »
Please note I am not blaming the Remote Rig, just trying to get suggestions on where I might look to find the problem!

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-02, 15:35:52 »
Please note I am not blaming the Remote Rig, just trying to get suggestions on where I might look to find the problem!
What makes you think someone might think you are blaming the RRC, hehe?  ;)
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-02, 15:46:41 »
You must look for the reason, something is consuming all bandwidth. Web cams, IP-TV etc for example is a problem. If you do not have any idea about what causing it, bring your control-RRC to a friend so you can determine if the problem is in the control end or in the radio end. If you permanently use the Ipone as the the Internet connection, that could be the problem, the capacity of the network may not be better than that.

73 de mike

pd0swl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-02, 22:48:13 »
Like Mike says, investigate what other devices are polling your local network on either (client and server) side.

Disable them one by one to see what device is causing the intervals.
Often these are streaming applications.

If you are using wifi card(s) for the RRC(s) : check RSSI in Wifi scan menu.

Paul
PD0PSB

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2014-07-04, 01:51:23 »
Thanks to all for fine ideas. I disconnected ALL devices connected to my new Netgear Nighthawk router as suggested. No DropCam, no AppleTV, etc. Just cable modem and Remote Rig radio RRC are connected to the router. On the control end, I am using iPhone 5S hotspot, new Netgear Universal WiFi Adapter, and AT&T 4G/LTE carrier. Audio quality = 0 in both control and radio RRCs. Jitter buffer 10, Jitter delay 9, packet size 20.

Bottom line: I still get consistent dropouts in the receive audio. About every 3 to 10 seconds (it varies), there is a total chop off of audio for just the blink of an eye, then it's back until the next dropout. Removing all devices from my router did not affect the dropouts in receive audio. On the transmit side, no dropouts have ever been reported from other stations I have contacted. Only the receive side is having issues.

At some point, I'll try to eliminate the AT&T connection in favor of a different one. For now, I'll live with the dropouts...

73 John K7FD

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2014-07-04, 12:49:40 »
John,

You should also take a look at the WiFi channel you are using, because perhaps a neighbor or neighbors
are causing QRM. Or just try changing the channel to see if that solves the problem.

If not, then I suspect it is a provider problem as you indicated.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-07-05, 02:20:52 »
I can change the channel but if the radio RRC is on a wired connection from the router how does changing the wireless channel help? I don't understand this but I am no expert, hi.

John K7FD

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2014-07-05, 10:12:43 »
If I read all the messages above, it refers to a WiFi connection. I was referring to that connection.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2014-07-05, 21:59:18 »
John, I was having problems similar to yours.  We finally went to the Internet provider- in this case Comcast- and complained.  They, of course, said there was nothing wrong with their Internet service to us, but the problem suspiciously disappeared.  Now, we only seem to have the problem on Sunday mornings, starting about midnight local time.  Another suggestion that I tried and seemed to reduce the dropouts, was to change the audio quality on the "Radio Settings" tab to
"0"- it was set to "2".  It results in poorer quality audio, but after awhile I got used to it.  Dennis W1UE

K7FD

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2014-07-06, 22:41:49 »
If I read all the messages above, it refers to a WiFi connection. I was referring to that connection.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

I am using a Netgear universal wifi adapter with an iPhone hotspot. I see nowhere one can change a channel on the wifi adapter. I did change channels on my home router wifi and saw no improvement. As always, thanks for your suggestions, Mitch. It could be I am up against AT&T or Charter ISP...in either case, it will do no good to contact them. For now, I will live with the dropouts and use my remote stuff sparingly...and maybe someday it will magically work again like in the past.

73 John K7FD
« Last Edit: 2014-07-06, 22:44:10 by K7FD »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2014-07-07, 00:12:01 »
John,

The channel is changed in the router, the wifi card will change channels automatically. So you need
to go into the router and change it if there is QRM on the wifi channel.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX