Author Topic: How to setup for N1MM and Winkey operation?  (Read 7821 times)

K3TN

• View Profile
How to setup for N1MM and Winkey operation?
« on: 2014-07-01, 21:07:25 »
Configuration is PC remote control of an FT1000. I can currently send CW from a paddle at the Control end and the Paddle connector at the Radio RRC connected to the FT1000 key jack.

I can start up N1MM on my PC at the Control RRC side and see the frequency of the remote FT1000, change the freq, etc - CAT is working.

But, how to I use N1MM to key the remote radio, ie use the N1MM Function Keys to send?  - does not currently work. I've tried various combinations of COM Ports in N1MM, no luck. The manual seems to hint at needed to do this via the USB connection on the Control RRC?

Thanks, John K3TN

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: How to setup for N1MM and Winkey operation?
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-01, 22:15:42 »
John,

I don't know N1MM, but your software should use a function called "use CAT for CW" or similar to work.

There is however another good alternative: use the RRC's built-in Winkeyer emulator. Change COM3 in+
the serial settings to mode-8 (Winkeyer) and make sure the USB cable is plugged in. Look under Windows
to see which virtual port was issued for COM3 and set N1MM to use a Winkeyer over that COM port.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W1SRD

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-02, 04:49:55 »
Funny this should come up. I spent hours yesterday trying to get this very thing to work -- it does not as far as I can tell. With either Writelog or N1MM.
My setup is K3/0 mini to K3.
Serial Settings -> COM3 mode (USB-COMFSK) = Mode-B, WinKeyer
Using K1EL test program WKdemo does work, but that's not much use.
Writelog immediately keys PTT when it starts.  I can't find a way to stop it from asserting PTT. Not even sure what line it is pulling. This may or may not be related to Winkey emulation.
N1MM will send a few characters to the emulator, then hangs and does not respond.
Requires pulling the USB cable to clear.
Wondering if *anyone* has successfully used this mode and if so with what logging software.
Steve
W1SRD

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-02, 11:50:52 »
Steve,

The method I described using the Winkeyer simulation should work fine for you. Did you try
it using the directions I gave above? It is very simple and will work with all programs.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX
« Last Edit: 2014-07-02, 12:49:13 by dj0qn »

W1UE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-05, 22:04:15 »
Steve, in Sept 2012 I wrote a reply in this forum about using N1MM and Remote Rig.  The two do work together, and they work well together.  Rather than repeat it here, find the reply and you should be able to get it going.  Dennis W1UE