Author Topic: Good Product  (Read 3004 times)

W3NRG

• View Profile
    • Email
Good Product
« on: 2014-07-25, 06:11:15 »
 :)

I live on the 4th floor of a 16 floor condominium building with no opportunity to set up even a modest 40 meter antenna on my apartment balcony.   However, our high data rate (2.4gh/5gh) ham radio emergency service organization (see QST April 2014, pages 80-81) maintains its main LAN switch in a radio bunker on the roof of the building.

The idea of using a RemoteRig 1258MKIIS pair to communicate from my apartment to the radio bunker was very appealing particularly since I already had an ICOM 706MKIIG transceiver, as well as the fact that I employ a microwave radio link from my apartment to the radio bunker.  To make the installation of a RemoteRig even more convenient, we permit only Fixed IP addresses on our private microwave LAN.  Hence I could avoid any dynamic IP address complications.

I found the instructions for the RemoteRig to anticipate most of the issues I would encounter in the setup process.   Perhaps the only suggestion I would make would be to expand the explanation of the functions of the various access ports somewhat.   Maybe it is simply a matter of local convention but I would have preferred to see the INTERNET connector identified as a LAN connection (maybe as well as INTERNET) and the AUX/MIC connector more prominently highlighted as the port for the ICOM 706 Control cable.   I know that that information is there but it doesn't really pop out to the reader.

Given that minor "nitpick" everything fell neatly in place as I proceeded through the steps on manual pages 11 and 12 and the ICOM 706 Control head in my apartment is now connected via the RemoteRig pair to the ICOM 706 Radio unit located in the organization radio room which, in turn, is connected to a 40 meter antenna located out in the clear on the roof of the building.

Over time, I suspect that others who use our extensive  private microwave LAN will consider purchasing RemoteRig pairs in order to be able to solve antenna location issues that limit their activity on the HF bands.

Thanks, "microbit."

Ed

W3NRG

Coronado, California, USA