Author Topic: Software access to PTT function  (Read 11005 times)

g4swx

• View Profile
    • Email
Software access to PTT function
« on: 2014-07-27, 11:45:43 »
Hi,

I was wondering if it might be possible to add some sort of software access to the PTT function. Possibly a virtual com port. I have been using the Micro PC Client with JT65B for EME, but have to push the PTT button for the TX sequence ;) My system does not permit the use of VOX as I have a number of systems to sequence before the rig is allowed to go onto TX. I had considered using a parallel hardware switch connected to the spare RRC 1258 com port and tunelling the command from the WSJT software but have not tested this idea.

Although I have been using the hardware RRC 1258 on my EME station for several years with 16 bit audio I was surprised that most JT65 weak signals survived the A-law compression etc. The addition of a software PTT might enable me to operate the station from even more interesting places.

John G4SWX

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Software access to PTT function
« Reply #1 on: 2014-08-18, 08:49:52 »
You are pushing the PTT button in the Micro PC client but would like another way of doing it, like using a virtual com port?  ;)
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

g4swx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2014-08-20, 18:12:35 »
Jan,

Yes exactly - pushing the PTT every 30 secs is not fun when running FSK441 !

As I said in my initial posting VOX is not an option for data modes as at the radio end the PTT line goes over to trigger a sequencer with the rig switching on last.

The only alternative I can see at the moment is as follows:

Control PC
Set up the WSJT (data) software with PTT via a virtual com port pointing into Com1 on RRC-1258. Enable Com 1 on RRC and Micro PC Client.

Radio end:
Connect Com 1 from the radio RRC via a optical isolator switch - I am assuming the RRC transfers RTS if it does not then this method will not work. Then put that switch in parallel with the PTT line coming out of the radio RRC.

If a RTS or DTR call in a virtual com port could be made to toggle the PTT line in the Micro PC Client it would be so much easier to run a whole pile of data modes using this client.

John G4SWX

DL5FAB

• Use of RRC and RRC PC Client to remote IC706
    • View Profile
    • QRZ.com
Re: Software access to PTT function, use for Digimodes
« Reply #3 on: 2014-09-01, 19:17:04 »
Hi,

I have implemented a SW controlled PTT switching with the RTS signal from a Digimode SW with a small HW modification of the Dongle, pulling a PTT line on the red PTT button to ground via 220 Ohms through a simple transistor switch integrated in a D-Sub connector.
I am also routing the audio signals to/from the Digimode SW using Virtual Audio Channel (VAC).
More info unter the following link to my drop box:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1mo83hi3xdqxlg/DigiModes_PC_Client.pdf?dl=0

This set-up works quite well and I made a number of succesful contacts in various modes.

Please consider that this simple modification will possibky void your warranty. I take no responsibilities for any damage!

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2014-09-02, 08:54:56 »
Nice work-around!  8)

g4swx

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-06, 16:51:01 »
 :) yes a nice work around, far better than my experiments in tunelling RS232 to the radio end.

A software virtual port solution would be a really excellent long term solution

John G4SWX

K8OI

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2015-06-14, 15:09:25 »
Any update on this?  This is a very needed capability!

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2015-06-25, 08:26:30 »
We have had a look at adding a feature which would allow PTT switching via a virtual com port's RTS/DTR signals. But we ran into problems since the virtual com port driver(not ours) behaves strange and sends several RTS/DTS on-off-on-etc for every change from on to off and vice versa. We hope that we find a way to overcome that problem.

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2016-05-26, 16:21:43 »
This surely has taken time! But now there soon is a new (beta) version of RRC-Micro(1.11.0) that will allow the use any of the virtual com ports not used for other purposes to control the PTT, either by RTS or by DTR.

La1zm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2017-02-03, 15:58:00 »
Hi
Any news about rrc-micro 1.11.0?
I have been using my ts-480 with rrc- mico, virtual cables and wsjt-x, and it is working so nice except for the ptt-function.

73 de Alf
La1zm