Author Topic: Recommended setting or radio for mobile operation ?  (Read 4156 times)

DL8OBF

• View Profile
Guys,

I understand, that some use the remoterig-equipment to operate mobile (read: in a car). Is there settings, which work better or worse ?   Any difference in terms of radio (IC706, Elecraft) or communication channel (GSM, UMTS, Edge) ?

Thanks and vy 73
                     Uwe, DL8OBF

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Recommended setting or radio for mobile operation ?
« Reply #1 on: 2016-10-03, 03:24:09 »
Hi Uwe,

I included my 3G/4G checklist below. No difference with the radio, but of course always use the fastest service
available. 4G also has much better latency, which is a main problem with remote operation.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

3G/4G Checklist
------------------
Try reducing your bandwidth to a minimum and changing some parameters to compensate
for a poor line. Note that this is only for using 3G/4G on the control side. Running a RemoteRig
system over 3G/4G with the router on the radio side will never work, unless you pay extra for a
true external IPv4 address.
Here are some tips:

1) These are important:
- audio quality to 0 (half the bandwidth of codec 2 and more than adequate for SSB & CW)
- turn continuous RTP on or set RTP to continuous (depending upon firmware version)
- If using the K3 Twin or Yaesu with a second receiver, then turn off "audio dual-rx" on the
   radio RRC under the radio settings. This doubles the necessary bandwidth if on.

2) Play around with these 3 until you are satisfied:
- increase rx jitter buffer to min 12+
- increase rx jitter delay to min 10+
- audio packet size 20 or 40

3) Also, make sure that serial ports COM1 and COM2 are turned off if not used,
or that either being used is set to the minimum bps necessary to handle the serial
communication. For example, use 4800 for CAT on a rig like the TS-480 and not
a high speed like 57600, since the higher speed is completely unnecessary.

DL8OBF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2016-10-05, 21:41:11 »
Hi Rig,

very interesting checklist, thanks!

Do you think - when following that checklist - the radio can be operated in a moving car ?

And - because you have identified the audio side as the main consumer of bandwidth - would it make sense to separate the audio-stream, e.g. have audio transferred through UHF or a second GSM-channel ?

I am actually trying to avoid the problems with HF in modern cars, so the target would be an IP-based communication.

Thanks and vy 73
                        Uwe, DL8OBF

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-10-05, 21:45:47 »
Uwe,

It depends!!! No way to say yes or no, it depends upon your provider's network coverage, terrain, etc.
One OM I know west of Munich uses his RemoteRig for CW from his moving car  ;)

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

oz1rh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2016-10-19, 11:40:43 »
I have run Nano Icom from a moving car using 4G/LTE controlling an IC-7100. I needed to increase rx jitter buffer and rx jitter delay but not as much as Mitch recommends, however 4G/LTE is important. 3G has long ping times and high jitter and needs most of the tricks of Advanced Parameters. Edge is no good. Lock your modem to 4G/LTE and hope for coverage where you are driving.

At home my control-RRC also uses 4G/LTE, which here is faster than an ADSL and latency on 4G/LTE is no issue. Some years ago I had my radio-RRC on 3G mobile broadband. It worked after I managed to get a public IP-adr, but latency was a problem, so that solution was never 100% satisfactory

73, Palle, OZ1RH.