Author Topic: New Problem Identified: Tip if RemoteRig Stops Working  (Read 10604 times)

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
I resolve a number of RemoteRig problems for users every week, but recently I had two unusual problems in Germany and Spain
that turned out to be a new issue that will likely come-up more and more often. I therefore want to warn the user community
about how to recognize this problem and how to possibly solve it.

The effect of the problem is that a previously perfectly working setup just stops working for no apparent reason. In general,
a working system that stops working is not due to a RRC defect, but due to a change somewhere in the environment (e.g.
router, loose cable, etc.)

This new problem is caused by the migration of internet providers from IPv4 to IPv6. The provider changes the IPv4 connection
to the internet to a new type of "encapsulated" link that shares a single external IP number with its users. This means that the
users no longer have an external IP number on the internet that can be used to reach devices within the users' networks using
port forwards (called "double NAT"). The RRC is therefore all of a sudden no longer reachable and the system goes down.

How to recognize the problem: you need to go into your router and see what IP number the router has received from the provider.
This is under a menu called "status", "WAN" or similar. Then go into your radio RRC's status page (or use a browser to go to
http://www.whatismyip.com/) and see if the external IP numbers match or not. If they do not match, then your provider made this
change. If they do match, your problem is elsewhere in your hardware or network.

How to fix the problem: there is no real fix as such. You need to contact your provider and see if they can give you a true external IP
number as you used to have. If they can not do this or are unwilling to do this, then you will need to change your internet provider.
As an alternative, you can setup a VPN, but this is beyond the scope of this posting.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: New Problem Identified: Tip if RemoteRig Stops Working
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-11, 16:04:13 »
I am making a comment to move this to the top of the list.

This problem has come-up several more times since my posting and appears to be accelerating.
Consider this a real possibility for the problem if your system stops working for no apparent reason.

Note that if a prior running system all of a sudden no longer works and you made no changes, then
it is extremely rare that it is due to a failure of an RRC (and then usually only due to a lightening
strike or similar). The problem lies on your router or ISP, but not on the RRC setup!

Use my description below to see if this is what is causing your problem before making further
analysis of your infrastructure.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w1asb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-10-17, 13:12:18 »
Hi Mitch
I think I have same problem do you think I can have someone check radio end and get new ip (what's yip.com)and then using using remote rig status page change it 
Thanks
Adam

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-17, 13:32:26 »
Hi Adam,

I am not sure if I understand your question. If you just compare what the router and the RRC
or whatismyip.com say your IP address is, then you can see if you have this problem or not.
If you have this problem, you can not solve it in the scope of the RRC or network settings, but
should contact your ISP.

Let me know if I can help or just didn't understand your question correctly.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w1asb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-10-17, 15:49:32 »
It turns out that Internet service was down at my remote site sorry for my to early post I was digging in forum instead check all out

sv1oz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2016-10-02, 12:20:26 »
Hello Mitch you were right!!!
The new provider has given one pseudo IP in the router.
When i go to DMZ to specify an exception to firewall for my RRC the field has as IP this pseudo IP address 10.140.23 1 for example  and then 192.168.2. and an empty field where I put 228.
So what's next step? This telephone line belongs to a friend of mine and next Monday will try to contact them to see if they can help. If we have no result then what we can do? You said something for VPN? Please can you explain me how I can set it? Provider unfortunately cannot change as there is signed minimum agreement for 24 months. Thank U in advance  for your kind support. Dimitris DK1OZ

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2016-10-03, 03:29:06 »
I guess you just need to follow what I wrote in my other post. Try contacting your provider to
see if they will give you a true IPv4 "routable" IP number. You may have to pay extra for it. If
not, you may be able to get out of your contract, because the service essentially does not work
as expected.

The subject of VPN is too complex to go into details here. I suggest that you Google and maybe
find information available in Greek. This technology has become somewhat cheaper, since I have
even seen a VPN based upon Raspberry Pi. The main problem is portability and getting it up in the
first place.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2016-10-18, 04:53:09 »
Mitch, would the problem you described primarily affect the Radio end and only secondarily affect the Control end?  If I understand correctly, relying on a specific IP and porting scheme is not necessary on the Control end.  One more question: Can you think of any reason why a RRC-1258 Control box shouldn't connect with the Radio if an Android RRC Nano does connect? My RRC boxes suddenly quit connecting but RRC Nano still does.  Thanks.  Art

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2016-10-18, 05:17:04 »
Hi Art,

Your assumptions are correct. It only concerns the radio side, not the control side.

There is no reason the control RRC doesn't connect if Nano does. However, you should
attempt to use Nano when using the same  home network with WiFi as the RRC is using
to see if the control side has a firewall or router issue. It is rare, usually caused by high-end
routers, but at least that way you can verify that the problem is not with the router.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

K4FWJ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2016-10-18, 06:10:58 »
Thank you VERY much for those words, Mitch.  On my phone I did deselect the Verizon network data and connect strictly through the same wifi router.  The Nano continued to connect through the router just fine to the Radio back home.  Because of the proven reliability of the RRC1258 system (mine has worked flawlessly for 2 years) I am having trouble suspecting my control box has suddenly went kaput.  But earlier today I decided that I don't mind having a spare pair of boxes just in case.  So I ordered another set that'll be here in N.C. Wednesday.  Having done that I fully expect to find any moment that it's something very simple that I'm overlooking, hi hi.  Art

sv1oz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2016-10-18, 06:41:58 »
You were right Mitschüler.
I called my isp and they aware this problem with pseudo IP and they promised that in 30 minutes they will change it.
Indeed after 1 hour all things as by magic worked as before.
So all OK.  Thank you for one more time for your kind support.  73 Dimitris

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2016-10-18, 06:51:15 »
@Dimitris, glad to hear that you were able to solve your problem.

@Art, yes, I think that the problem is on the control side, but we still need to confirm that it is indeed a
defective RRC. That is very rare and usually is caused by lightening or similar. I sent you another post and
suggest that you send me the settings and I try it out here. Then we can narrow it down for sure.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX