Author Topic: K3 Twin CW TX problem  (Read 4095 times)

KE8G

• View Profile
    • Email
K3 Twin CW TX problem
« on: 2014-08-06, 18:14:44 »
Hello All,
I have developed a problem with the CW TX.  I am getting reports that it's not understandable, I believe the dits & dahs are not forming properly.  More so, I think the dahs are non-existent, as I had a station come back to me as HE5I rather than KE8G.  This is a new problem, as up until recently it worked perfectly.  I do not use SSB, so no idea on that front.

I have had someone at the remote site go over all the connections to make sure things are correctly set up.

Configuration:
Twin K3s, both with latest firmware updates
Both RemoteRig units have the latest firmware updates.

I have made adjustments to the Lf delay ms now at 300 and Key delay ms now at 150.  It started off at 0 & 0, then 100 & 50, then 200 & 100 respectively.

Any ideas to get me started?   

73 de Jim - KE8G

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: K3 Twin CW TX problem
« Reply #1 on: 2014-08-07, 12:45:16 »
I have no idea. If you hear correct sidetone the dahs cannot be lost. In most cases some Key delay is needed. That's the only parameter that can be changed to improve CW quality if the Internet connection making jitter.

73 de mike

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2014-08-13, 13:17:55 »
Hi Jim,

Have you solved it yet? I used to have the same issue, instead of my correct VE3VEE call-sign, people would respond to me as H5HEE. It has been solved, details here: http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=1859

73 Marvin VE3VEE

TF4M

• View Profile
    • Arctic Diamonds
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-08-30, 18:18:55 »
I experienced a similar problem where I was sending garbage, especially when keying by hand and thereby dropping PTT between words or characters.

If you have  "PTT activated by Keyer" enabled and forget to turn on the VOX, the result is garbage CW. The radio will still be keyed and some CW will be sent but it will be severely mangled.   The local sidetone from the Control unit will mask this happening.

Perhaps this was part of the problem.

The "PTT activated by Keyer" option appears to be a "late PTT" which is good for preventing relay chattering and I use PTT with CW most of the time with my radio.  It would be nice if this function could be changed to "early PTT" - i.e. since the CW is already delayed, the PTT could be activated a mS or two before the CW stream starts.   There could be a setting for this as well as for the tail delay setting.

That said, I will not forget to activate VOX on the radio after my embarrassment  :-), but the feature would be nice.

73 Thor, TF4M
« Last Edit: 2014-08-30, 18:56:01 by TF4M »
73 de Thor, TF4M