Author Topic: K3 twin - power on - and more  (Read 9931 times)

TF3CY

• View Profile
K3 twin - power on - and more
« on: 2014-08-28, 01:45:09 »
Hi there

I just got a RRC-1258MkIIs and I'm connecting to a K3 in remote mode with a full blown K3/100 as the control unit.

I have been reading as much as I can - I have been unable to turn on the remote K3.

- I have access to the remote RRC - shows radio off / disconnected state. Other party shows my IP in status.

- Do I have to do anything to my control K3- terminal mode ?  - if so - how do I turn it on ? (google is not helping me!)
- Can I issue a "turn on" using the telnet server on the remote site ?

and further - is there any documentation on the telnet interface of the RRC ? (being a Cisco network engineer I like console access!)

73, Benni TF3CY

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: K3 twin - power on - and more
« Reply #1 on: 2014-08-28, 05:59:25 »
Benni,

The system uses hardware to turn the remote K3 on, not software! You must have the cable between the K3's
ACC jack and the RRC's I/O jack. Assuming your RRC settings are correct, it should work just fine.

A common problem is that the people forget to change both K3's CAT baud rate to match that of the RRC's COM0
baud rate. I suggest here you use 9600 instead of 38400 as indicated in the manual for all four devices.

To use terminal mode, just hold down the menu button longer until it turns on. This is covered in the Elecraft manual.
Assuming the settings are correct, the RRC will give a connect beep and the remote K3 will turn on.

The Microbit guys will have to give you information on Telnet. I am not masochistic enough to know that stuff well  ;)

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2014-08-28, 08:00:41 »
Hi Mitch has right as always. The Control K3 will be set int terminal mode automatically if it's connected to the RCC when you press the Power on button. The Telnet/serial interface is only for hardware test and debug, it should not be accessed by the user.

73 de mike

TF3CY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-08-28, 11:56:38 »
ok  thanks for the input

I have now tried 9600/38400 - no difference.

Radio is connected to the back panel COM port with the cable supplied in the kit.

and there is a big assumption that the AUX/ACC cable is connected on the remote site. This was apparently working before.

- RRC states "radio ON" on the control side when I turn the K3 on
- K3 does not enter terminal mode when turned on
- I have turned off all keying via serial
- I have multiple screenshots showing / config import from another RRC that has been used - so I have something to compare.

and to note - haha..just figured out this term mode
- I can't find it anywhere in the documentation
- I have been able to turn it on with serial commands
- and the K3 has to be powered on - and then you long-hold menu - I was sure you had to power the K3 ON into TERM mode. (", just hold down the menu button longer until it turns on")

Problem is that I don't have physical access to the remote K3/RRC - only web access to the RRC
but my friend that owns the remote station will be there in few days - so I will debug further when I can rule more things out.

73, Benni TF3CY

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2014-08-28, 12:27:43 »
Benni,

The 9600/38400 makes no difference, it was just a suggestion from me to save unnecessary bandwidth.

The way it works is to push the menu button long until it goes into terminal mode. At that point, turning off
and on the control  K3 will power on the remote K3.

I am flying back home today and will be there tomorrow if you want me to check it out. In that case, just
contact me directly at dj0qn (at) darc.de. You can also send me your html config files if you want me to
look at them for mistakes.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2014-08-28, 12:33:25 »
There should not be any need to manually set it in terminal mode, I have never done it. The RRC sets it in terminal mode automatically, if it doesn't, you have no serial connection between the Control-RRC and the Control-K3

/mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2014-08-28, 14:09:53 »
That was the way it worked when I was still using a full K3 for control. In the meantime, they
have improved the firmware, so maybe this is no longer the case. I now use a K3/0, so I
can't check very easily.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

TF3CY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-08-28, 15:34:26 »
ok - let's not worry to much

I'm trying to establish a baseline how things should be - as I cant test this over a LAN - so there is the internet and the external router at the remote site that I have not yet looked at.

But I have tried few cables etc..  the K3 does not enter this TERM mode automatically - but with the supplied cable, the control RRC does detect that the radio is on - but I'm still always disconnected in the connection status. Trying to figure out how this hangs together - perhaps the RRC does not put the K3 in TERM until it's connected - or perhaps it does not connect until it detects the control radio... this would help me figure out where to go next.

When I get control over the whole thing - I will post my findings or further answers !

thanks

- Benni TF3CY

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2014-08-28, 16:19:53 »
The best thing is process of elimination. I suggest a test first of the radio RRC to see if that is working by
using a control K3/0 that is known to work. If that works, then you know to focus on the control RRC or the
other way around.

I will be back home from the UK tomorrow if you want to test.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

TF3CY

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-08-30, 22:46:47 »
well, found the solution!

double checked my Cisco router, using Wireshark I could see I was connecting - but never getting any responses from the remote unit.

After looking at the Radio Settings in the control unit I saw this:

I double clicked the "SIP contact" IP address:

I noticed that there is a space behind the IP address - so this is a parser issue in the RRC  - probably in the remote SIP part -as I could see the control unit try to connect - but I never saw any connections coming back.

When I remove the space behind the IP address - everything goes back to normal.
This has been replicated on the local LAN also (I have two RRC's)

Not being a software bug per se - it's something that can cause issues as IP addresses are often copied and pasted and this space is often copied with them. With proper input parsing this "issue" could be totally avoided.

73, Benni TF3CY

TF3CY

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-08-31, 01:36:54 »
one more thing if anyone knows ;)

I have a Heil proset plus that I use with the normal adaptor to my K3 - it does not work.

* I removed jumper 1 before  I plugged the MIC in
* I have confirmed it works with my K3
* I use a Kenwood MIC that I have and it works perfectly directly connected to the RRC
* no audio - even if I manually PTT with "XMIT" button on K3
* no vox (ofc. if no audio)
* using the RED adaptor from HEIL.

any thoughts ?

73, Benni TF3CY
« Last Edit: 2014-08-31, 02:09:57 by TF3CY »

TF4M

• View Profile
    • Arctic Diamonds
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2014-08-31, 16:44:23 »
« Last Edit: 2014-08-31, 16:48:31 by TF4M »
73 de Thor, TF4M

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2014-08-31, 19:58:16 »
Yes, some new models of Heil need bias, the traditional HC4 and HC5  did not like bias

/mike

TF3CY

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2014-09-02, 02:34:32 »
ok - just to close this thread.

* Using the Heil headset ( Proset plus ) I think with the HC5 element does not require / does not work with JMP1 installed
* When I used the footswitch connected to the HEIL adaptor everything worked (after I removed JMP1)
* I now know what  "RTP tx mode ( normal/continuous )" does:  audio is muted until PTT is pressed and  PTT must be on the control side, does not work pressing "XMIT" on either of the K3's as in the "normal" mode - RRC will not transmit audio unless control unit is keyed through the MIC connector.

I'm a big VOX fan in contests, first time actually that I connect a foot switch - so this might be something I would consider - but I agree with the "security" issue.

so now everything working fine !

73, Benni TF3CY