Author Topic: wattmeter/swr control  (Read 6521 times)

yo3irm

• View Profile
wattmeter/swr control
« on: 2014-10-09, 18:38:16 »
Hi,

I would like to use RRC with TS-480 at the control station, at remote location I would like to control an antenna rotator (Yaesu G-450C) and also connect to RS232 a wattmeter/swr like LP-100A or array solution Powermeter.

On my laptop at the control station I would like to see the bar graph from wattmeter/swr, I have only usb on my laptop.
Is this combination possible, is anyone using a rotator control and a swr/wattmeter through remoterig ?

Thank you

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: wattmeter/swr control
« Reply #1 on: 2014-10-09, 18:47:24 »
That is no problem by using a serial server, such as one from Lantronix or Moxa. The serial
port is forwarded over the internet and you use a virtual serial port on your local PC to talk
back to the serial server and device attached. You use the normal software on the control PC
that you would use at the location where these devices are located.

Note that Microbit produces some products that can also act as serial servers, e.g. the Webswitch
1216H can forward the serial port for a rotor over the internet. Also the RRC's each have two serial
servers (COM1 & COM2 on them) that can control remote devices, although normally COM2 is used
to forward the CAT port.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

yo3irm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-10-10, 19:22:43 »
Thank you for info.

Is this ok: http://store.lantronix.com/product_p/xdt2321002-01-s.htm ?

Thanks

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-11, 00:30:42 »
I have never tried that one, it is fairly new. I would however think it should work fine.

As a rule I use the following:
http://store.lantronix.com/product_p/ud2100002-01.htm

I usually get them on Ebay much cheaper. Note that there are many companies making serial servers,
some for only a few Dollars from China. I can't vouch for them, but some people seem satisfied.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

yo3irm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-10-27, 13:48:12 »
I've bought a Lantronix UDS2100 for LP-100A remote control.
Now, I'm not sure what cable to use, I see LP-100A has a DB9 female connector and UDS2100 a DB9 male connector. UDS was supplied with a Null Modem  cable.
Should I use a null modem cable between LP-100A and UDS2100 or a straight serial cable with  DB9 M - DB9 F connectors?

Thank you!
Dan

S53K

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2014-10-27, 20:16:16 »
hi!

WE use  Tibbo - http://tibbo.com/ for a long time and good price  8)

73 Simon

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2014-10-28, 13:39:36 »
Hi Dan,

I have been busy the last few days, so I am now getting around to answering.

The cable that was supplied is only for maintenance, don't use it for the server function.

The ports use a standard straight-through serial cable. You can buy or make these with the
correct connectors, or use a gender changer.

Otherwise, go to the Lantronix's web page to set it up as needed. More important is that you install
the CPR Manager and configure that as needed. If it doesn't work, you may need to change the port's
settings to check the box on "RFC 2217 TruPort" and play around with the settings on its pull-down
menu (I find "do not tie DTR to any other signal" usually is the best one).

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX