Author Topic: Future Control-RRC without the need for USB cables  (Read 5895 times)

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
In a future version of RRC, would it be possible to avoid using USB cables between Control-RRC and laptop?

Recently, I started to use a Lantronix serial server (for my remote watt-meter). It requires no device and/or USB cables at my control location. It installed virtual com port(s) on my laptop and that's all. It would be excellent for me to be able to avoid the use of the USB cable(s) between my Control RRC and my laptop. I often move it between my home/car/work/etc, and the fewer cables the better.

73 Marvin VE3VEE

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Future Control-RRC without the need for USB cables
« Reply #1 on: 2014-10-07, 17:06:04 »
Marvin,

What's keeping you from putting a serial server (e.g. Lantronix) on the Radio RRC's (or radio's) serial port
now and doing it that way?

Or are you asking them to include a serial server in the RRC's firmware? I would find this cool,
but think it may be beyond the ROM capacity and scope of what they are doing here. Note that they
already added a serial server to the Webswitch, with which I use the virtual serial port to control my rotor.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2014-10-07, 21:31:30 »
Hi Mitch,

I actually have a new Lantronix serial server (with enough ports for everything) on order (should arrive this week) so I should be able to achieve it soon. I thought it would be a useful improvement if RRC unit itself could achieve it, too.

73 Marvin VE3VEE
« Last Edit: 2014-10-08, 00:11:16 by VE3VEE »

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-19, 00:12:57 »
Today, I went to my remote site to install Lantronix EDS 4100 serial server. I ran into an issue:

The good:

- Rotator is working via the Lantronix EDS 4100 serial server
- Watt meter / SWR meter is working via the Lantronix, too

The bad:

- CAT is not (yet) working.

CAT (Kenwood TS-480) was working via RRC just fine. I unplugged the RS-232 from my Radio-RRC and plugged it to the Lantronix EDS 4100. I'm using the default setting of the Lantronix EDS 4100 (picture attached). I'm hoping I'm overlooking some simple setting change that needs to be performed to get CAT working.

Symptoms: When I start my logging software (Log4om), the logging software displays "0 kHz" instead of the actual frequency of my Kenwood TS-480. However, it seems the logging software does briefly connect (somewhat) to the TCVR. In the status-bar of the software window, there is a green "LED" that indicates successful CAT connection, but after 30 seconds the GREEN turns to RED indicating loss of connection. During this 30 second period the logging software even manages to change mode & frequency of the TCVR if I click a spot in the DX cluster window, however the frequency counter of the logging software never follows the frequency of the TCVR when I turn the dial of the TCVR. So something of the CAT connection is working, something of the CAT connection is not working, and after 30 seconds my logging software seems to lose CAT connection.

Any help with this would be hugely appreciated. I just spent several hours changing various settings (not really knowing what I'm doing) without any success. I hope running CAT without RRC, just via a "regular" serial server, IS possible.

73 Marvin VE3VEE
« Last Edit: 2014-10-19, 00:16:14 by VE3VEE »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2014-10-19, 12:57:02 »
Hi Marvin,

I have installed these devices at several stations and am very happy with their performance. However,
until now I have still used the RRC for CAT, since it provides a couple of advantages, such as duplicate
CAT over COM1 (e.g. for local sync of amp, etc.), seamless connection to the Microbit antenna switch, etc.

However, I completely understand that you also wish to use a virtual serial port without wires. It would be
cool for Microbit to include the device server technology that they have in the Webswitch in the RRC for that
purpose (hint, hint).

I would however assume that it should work just fine with the Lantronix, assuming you have the settings
right. Some devices, such as the Acom 2000a, have been tricky, which may be the same here. I see you
are looking at the server side, whereas you should look at the control side (CPR Manager).

The most common "trick" is to turn "RFC 2217 TruPort" on under the port settings. Then you need to find
the correct setting under the drop-down menu, although I find "Do not tie DTR to any other signal" to be
the correct one most of the time.

I hope this helps.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2014-10-19, 21:18:57 »
Mitch,

Thanks for the valuable info. I've managed to get it working, but I had to switch my logging software from using OMNIRig to using Hamlib. I tried the settings you suggested, but with OMNIRig my setup no longer wants to work, and the only way I have so far found how it works is by switching to using Hamlib. I'm OK with that for now. My setup is fully functional as far as I can tell. It still makes me wonder why ONMIRig stopped working properly, it may still be some setting I've overlooked (my knowledge in this area is very limited and I don't know what some of the settings in the serial server are for).

Using my laptop now, without being connected to my control-RRC with cable(s), is more convenient and more portable. I wish RRC units could achieve this out of the box.

Thanks for your help, Mitch.

73 Marvin VE3VEE