Author Topic: Looking for some Beta Testers soon...  (Read 6457 times)

w1ve

• View Profile
Looking for some Beta Testers soon...
« on: 2015-03-16, 16:55:51 »
Hello RemoteRig fans....

I'm a software engineer, and an avid user of RemoteRig.  I've been working on a ham project, and it should be ready for beta testing in 1-2 weeks.

As a Remote user, you are aware that their are various front panels that are detachable, and can be made remote using RemoteRig and RS-232.

However, what if I want to control a TS-480 from a K3/0 Mini?   Or a TenTec Omni 7 from a TS480?
Impossible, right?  Not so. 

These radios interoperate using the standard CAT protocols provided by their manufacturers.

What I'm building is a real-time CAT translator.   In it's initial release, it will support full VFO/RIT/XIT and some subset of other controls.   Later on, I'll support a macro language, which will allow you to convert certain commands proprietary to one manufacturer into a command for another.
Out of the box, this will support over 60 radios, including Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, Elecraft, Ten Tec and many others.

Of course, it will be free.

At the remote end, you would need two physical serial ports on your PC.   One goes to RemoteRig, the other Goes to the front panel (or PC software) of choice.  Connecting these two ports will be my software in the middle.  Translation will be real-time in both directions.

What I'd like from you guys is to gauge interest.   Would any of you be interested in this capability?
In the next few weeks, I'll be looking for some beta testers.  If you are interested in being part of that, please send me a private email at gerry AT w1ve.com.

73, Gerry W1VE

SA6BOL

• View Profile
Re: Looking for some Beta Testers soon...
« Reply #1 on: 2015-03-16, 21:50:58 »
Hello Gerry,

Nice to hear of your real-time CAT translator. I have two RemoteRig units in the lab, a Icom IC-706MKII and a Icom IC-R2500 both administrated via separate remote frontpanels ower two WLAN streams.

I have plans for usage of the new Icom IC-7100 and a Yaesu FT-8900 transceiver, so your CAT translator is of great interest, both for radio sharing and administration.

With Best regards, Leif - SA6BOL in Trollhättan, Sweden

devham

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-03-18, 20:05:32 »
I am ready to test nano + your software + Ft857 or my Ft857 to control my FT950!

KB8CR

• IC-7100 and IC-706 on RRC's
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-04-16, 00:15:43 »
That would be an awesome application !!

Charlie KB8CR

DF3FX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-05-02, 15:57:19 »
Hi Gerry ,
Looking forward to that piece of software!

Would your software for example also work for like controlling a TS-590 with a TS-480 Display?
What I dont have clear in my mind is will your soft emulate the "display-cable" or translate the displays data output into CAT-controll commands?

Good I kept my USB to display cables I had from my W4HQ TS4800 remote setup  ;D

Looking forward to test that

73's

Félix
----------
RRig with Ts-480 SAT - Distance 1000km :-)
----------

on5um

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-05-04, 23:27:22 »
Hello Gerry ,

I suppose that You still need some more Beta Testers .
I am available .

Been reading Your mails for a while now since You started the topic.

Thanks for Your efforts ,

73 - Jim ON5UM-OP5T

dj1aus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-06-20, 21:26:24 »
Hello,

is there an update of this thread?

I would be also able to do some beta testing - having IC-7200 connected with the RC-1258MkII or similar a setup with the RS-BA1 with RC-28.
So if you want to do some tests with my setup - just let me know.

Alexander

G3TKF

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2015-06-27, 10:48:38 »

Sounds like a great idea Gerry!

Being able to control different radios would release endless possibilities and do away with the need of removable front panels or twin set radios !
Look forward to future developments....

Robin
G3TKF