Author Topic: Unable to talk to RRC using Microbit utility  (Read 5217 times)

N6TR

• View Profile
Unable to talk to RRC using Microbit utility
« on: 2014-11-13, 06:49:11 »
Have an older styles remote rig box with serial port.  Trying to talk to it using a USB to serial port adapter - and Microbit Setup Manager (version 1.27).

I can see COM6 in my Device Manager and can even talk to it using a terminal emulator program (connecting pins 2 to 3 and looping back).  However, I can never get COM6 to show up as an option in the Microbit program.  I only see COM2, COM3 and COM4.  If I change the port from COM6 to COM2 - then I see COM3, COM4 and COM5 in the Microbit program. 

Any help appreciated.

Tree N6TR

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Unable to talk to RRC using Microbit utility
« Reply #1 on: 2014-11-13, 08:55:55 »
When you say
I can never get COM6 to show up as an option in the Microbit program
do you by that mean that it isn't an option on the "Serial Port" tab in the Setup Manager? If that is the case then maybe you are mixing up the different types of virtual serial ports there are? There are two types, one is the USB ports which are created when the RRC is connected to a PC via USB and the other is a software only port which is created on the "Serial Port" tab in the Setup Manager program. When creating the software only port Setup Manager lists the first 3 free serial ports it finds for you to select from.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

N6TR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-11-16, 20:09:31 »
I think the page I was looking at was for some other purpose.  I played around enough to get the manual page to come up (using SecureCRT to talk to COM6).  I never did get the microbit program to talk to the box.  :-(

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-11-17, 08:03:19 »
Could you please clarify which program you are referring to as "Microbit program"?

K3TN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-11-19, 12:02:46 »
I have a similar problem - on a Windows 7 laptop, the Microbit setup manager can no longer see the RRC. I can manage the RRC over the web interface, and on a separate Windows 7 PC (where I did *not* install the Microbit virtual ports, just the Setup Manager, the setup utility *can* see the RRC and communicate.

On the laptop, I uninstalled/reinstalled the setup Utility, still can not see or communicate with the RRC.

John K3TN

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2014-11-19, 12:16:58 »
I have a similar problem - on a Windows 7 laptop, the Microbit setup manager can no longer see the RRC. I can manage the RRC over the web interface, and on a separate Windows 7 PC (where I did *not* install the Microbit virtual ports, just the Setup Manager, the setup utility *can* see the RRC and communicate.

On the laptop, I uninstalled/reinstalled the setup Utility, still can not see or communicate with the RRC.

John K3TN
If you take a look at "Human Interface Devices" in Device Manager when connecting the RRC, will you then see one or more devices being added to the list?