Author Topic: TS-480 Setup  (Read 13922 times)

kf5scn

• View Profile
TS-480 Setup
« on: 2014-11-19, 18:17:51 »
I'm working on trying to get this system setup and having an issue.

I have both RRC units configured, accessible.  I've tried to go between both units and with the manual, to get things correct.

Everything seems to be set up correctly, but when I try to power on the control head, I get nothing. Cables are OK.  Used then to connect directly back to the radio no problem.

When I try to "connect" on the status page of the web, I get a three tone sound, three times and the yellow LED on the Aux/mic outlet starts flashing.

They're configured for the "old" jumper settings(conf-2 in the manual) because the serial number is lower than what it shows in the manual, but I'm wondering if for some reason it needs to be the other configuration. 

At this point, I'm stumped.  Any suggestions on what to try would be greatly appreciated

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: TS-480 Setup
« Reply #1 on: 2014-11-19, 21:16:34 »
There should not be a "connect" button on the status page if you have selected the correct program mode. it should be 5 for TS-480

I saw the files now, you have wrong program mode, you have 4 it should be 5

You should use the Radio-RRC IP-adress for SIP-contact if you are within the same LAN

73 de mike
« Last Edit: 2014-11-19, 21:20:32 by sm2o »

kf5scn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-11-19, 21:42:08 »
Doh...when I got to 4 and it said Kenwood, I stopped...

Changed those two things...both units...and the only difference is I get the tones now when I try to power on the control head.  Which is at least a step in the right direction.  I didn't get anything before.

I saw something on another thread about the #2 jumper position for the voltage to the head.   The way I read the manual is it should be open.

It's an HX.  Is it possible that even though the serial number is prior to what it says in the manual, might it need the other strapping configuration?  Will it hurt anything if I try?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2014-11-19, 21:52:58 »
No it's not a jumper problem change the SIP contact to the IP adress of the Radio-RRC

/mike

kf5scn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-11-19, 22:31:34 »
Doh!!!, number two.

I thought had, but made a type with a comma instead of a period....

Thanks immensely,

Ray

kf5scn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-11-20, 17:41:38 »
Related question...

I'm about to do some testing NOT on the LAN.  So I take it I should then change the SIP to the Dynamic DNS settings?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2014-11-20, 17:48:07 »
Yes if you have the RRCs at different LAN you probably need ddns. Do not forget to do the port forwarding at the radio side router

/mike

kf5scn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-11-20, 17:55:57 »
I'm working on that right now...

I'm about to look into getting the dsl line changed to a static ip. 

If that happens, am I correct in thinking that I would then use that IP, and if the ports are properly opened up, that it would work?

Can't remember where I saw/heard that.  But the reason was that in the event you needed to access the dsl modem/router remotely, you could.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: 2014-11-20, 18:11:50 »
Yes, but you will not get any benfit from changing to fixed IP. Probably 99% of the Remoterig user has dynamic IP and it's no problem. It's no difference when connecting to the router either, the same dns hostname works for all equipment behind the router and the router

/mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2014-11-20, 21:25:59 »
Ray,

It may be a bit too late for you, but I send anyone who asks a copy of my current networking checklist,
which walks you through the process of setting-up your RemoteRig system. If you or anyone needs this
to get started, drop me a short mail at dj0qn (at) darc.de and I will send it to you right away.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kf5scn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-11-21, 22:40:31 »
OK...can now get the control to come on, and figured out how to change things between inside and outside the LAN.  It pushes a "tune" signal to the A/T. It "hears" fairly well, but this morning when I tried to check int to a net...nothing.

So I got a handheld and listened/tested via the remote and then directly to the radio. Voice output when directly connected, no voice output when on the remote.

On the remote, the PTT is apparently working because it will relay in the radio and kick in the tuner, and when I change it to CW mode and key the mike, it's indicating the carrier on the tuner LEDs. 

So I'm guessing I don't have something set right...but darned if I can figure out what.

Have asked Mitch to send the info he alluded to in his post to see if there's anything that might help.

I'm attaching the most current config set up files, so once again, any suggestion would be very helpful.

Thank

Ray

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2014-11-22, 15:18:43 »
The settings looks ok, an it also reports that the internet connections are OK. I guess the trouble is hardware connection of the mic signal. Either the cables or the red straps. The red straps can be broken inside the insulation, so you need a ohm-meter to check.

73 de mike

kf5scn

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-11-22, 23:33:26 »
The cables are OK.  I can switch them around from one unit to the other, both as a remote setup and direct control to radio.

I checked continuity on the jumper wires and double checked how it was set up.  All is correct.

But i did fine something that is odd.  On the radio unit, with jumpers removed at the noted locations, it's shorted between the two locations noted on the attachment.

They're not on the control unit.  Should that be a short at that location?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2014-11-22, 23:38:24 »
Yes there should be a short in the control unit, not in the radio unit where the mic gnd is connected to the trafo, see manual

/mnike

kf5scn

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2014-11-23, 15:53:12 »
Ok.  Switched mic & antenna.  Finally able to make a contact, but report was that is the audio was not very strong, and "oscillating".

Right now it's connected via the LAN, and not much other usage on it, so bandwidth &/or latency shouldn't be an issue. 

I'll have another ts480 in hand in a tomorrow afternoon that's been mobile in an RV for about 3 months.  Will be testing with that when it gets here to try to determine what's causing the issues I'm still having.

I'm not clear on what some of the setting do, so don't know which one might be changed to improve things.

Will repost here if/when I get things figured out as reference for others in the future.

Thanks to all for the help.