Author Topic: TS-480 Setup  (Read 14011 times)

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: TS-480 Setup
« Reply #15 on: 2014-11-23, 16:43:41 »
Hi

There should not be need for any changes of the settings, if the audio is not OK I still think you have a hardware/wire problem. A missing GND wire for example

/mike

kf5scn

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2014-11-23, 17:37:13 »
I'm starting to think so, too.  It's not my station, so I'm reluctant to get too experimental till he gets back.

Sometime tomorrow PM, will have another TS480, a couple of other transceivers, a guy that's LOT more knowledgeable about the radio side than me (I'm more a network geek), and I'm sure we'll be doing a LOT of experimentation.

Thanks, again, for the feedback

Ray

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: 2014-11-23, 18:09:09 »
Also make sure that JMP1 is not on! Setting  bias on could cause that kind of distortion.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kf5scn

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2014-11-23, 19:19:54 »
Just checked, for the 3rd or 4th time...its open.

I'm housesitting for this guy.  He got this stuff a while back, and I'm just trying to get it set up for him.  Couldn't find the "stock" mic. So I've been using a couple of things that "sort of worked" when I was messing around playing with a manual tuner I got a while back and a home brew Zepp I was playing with.

At this point, a lot unknown variables in play.  Need to wait for tomorrow and a known good configuration (The owner's mobile setup is a TS480 in an RV. Home station is just south of Albuquerque...could hear him working Japan Friday morning mobile in Phoenix on 40M...and could hear the Japan station light.) So that's obviously a known good configuration.  And RX seems to be just fine if the Halogen and fluorescent lights around the house aren't on.

Everything seems to be working except audio output.  Just need to figure out what the issue is with that.  I'm guessing we set up his mobile configuration here in the yard, and introduce the remote stuff, we'll be in the clear.

Been damn frustrating though.  But not as much so as it was when I was working on getting HF to work on my sailboat.  Holy Cow...that's what caused me to pursue my Ham ticket(s).

I have an M-802 and a Pactor I use for digital (email) and (now) an IC-7000 I use for phone.  Each on separate antenna, tuner, power feed, and ground/counterpoise.  Tried to separate them as much as I could.  And a spare Alpha-Delta DX-EE in the bilge, and lots of random wire, and a couple of extra 9:1 UNUN's for random wire endfed, and other such stuff rat-holed around the boat.  God forbid I'll ever need it, but at least to this point, it's working if I ever need help. Noting like redundancy in an emergency.

Fair number of contacts to Europe on 20M and all over the US on 40M from Central America. Usually at about 80W-85W, and decent reports when I'm not trying to compete with legal limit contest stations.

I'm by no means an experienced HAM, but it's still been darn frustrating not getting this to work when everything appears to be set up correctly.

Likely as not, it will turn out to be something as stupid simple as common mode RFI or a grounding thing.  Still struggling with good comprehension on that stuff.

Again, as always, thanks for any feedback.

Raybo

kf5scn

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2014-11-25, 17:44:38 »
OK...owner is back.  We're messing around with it this morning and we're still having audio issues. 

In tune (CW)mode, all is good, but with the mic, it's still no audio out to speak of.

And it's putting out what Gil calls "hash", not a clean signal.

This is now with two different heads, and two different mics.

Any suggestions

kf5scn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2014-11-25, 17:49:53 »
Forgot to mention, it works fine connected to the radio.  Just a problem with with the remote.

And moved the  RemoteRig as far away from the radio as reasonable and no change.

And it's the same at 5W as it is in 200W.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: 2014-11-25, 21:55:00 »
Ray,

I will make a bet with you that this problem is what both Mike and I already thought it is:
it must be with the red strappings in one of the RRC's or another hardware issue.

I know you have checked the strappings before, but please check them again. It is very easy
to install these strappings and not have them make contact, even I have done it poorly before.
I now hold the wire at the beginning of the red insulation with needle-node pliers and push
gently into the socket until i feel it make contact.

The only other two possibilities:
- You could have the strappings installed 180 degrees around. Pin 1 is on the top right with
the back of the RRC to your right while looking at the socket. I have seen people do this wrong.
- It could also be with a bad cable connecting the radio RRC to the TS-480.

The mic audio is done in hardware, not using RRC settings. Please take our advice and recheck
the hardward as above.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: 2014-11-26, 08:10:14 »
Yes I agree with Mitch, the red straps is the only thing which can give this type of problem

73 de mike

kf5scn

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2014-11-27, 00:18:24 »
I've checked them repeatedly, and I use a small bent nose jeweler's pliers.  I did find one that wasn't seated, but that several iterations ago of opening up and checking...

As for the orientation, that's possible.  Using the diagram shown on page 183 in the manual (configuration 2 for the ts480), holding the front of the unit toward my body, that the jumpers should be arranged just as shown on that diagram.  That puts #1 in the same position as the way it shows in the manual on page 22 in the manual.  Looking at the mic/aux connection socket (front), it's away and to the right.   I've attached a picture indicating what i interpret as pin 1

The one thing i haven't tried is using configuration one because of where the manual says the difference is in terms of serial numbers.  Might it be possible I should be using the other jumper configuration, and if I try it, will I hurt anything?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: 2014-11-27, 12:34:52 »
you will not hurt anything if you shift the GND wires

/micke