Author Topic: Parameters set from Control RRC  (Read 5648 times)

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Parameters set from Control RRC
« on: 2015-01-02, 18:48:00 »
Hi guys,

One of the multi-user groups I am a a member of has a discussion going on which parameters can
be set at the control RRC side and which ones must be at the radio RRC side, or both. I am not sure
myself as to the status using current firmware. I know that both the Micro and Nano software override
the radio RRC side, but as far as I can remember, this does not (yet?) apply to the RRC itself.

Could you please list the parameters that must be set per side, or can be overridden by the control RRC?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Parameters set from Control RRC
« Reply #1 on: 2015-01-03, 17:21:22 »
Hi. Im not sure I understand the question but no parameters are transferred between the RRC:s, the setups are done where they are needed.

When connecting with RRC-Micro or RRC-Nano some parameters are temporarily changed in the Radio-RRC during the session. Audio quality is changed to 0 and Dual RX are changed to No as they are the only modes which are supported by the Micro and Nano.

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-01-03, 19:11:05 »
Thanks, Mike, that answers my question. I am however a bit surprised, since I though other
parameters were changed temporarily by Micro & Nano as well, e.g. packet site, jitter settings.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-01-03, 23:50:31 »
yes packet size is temporarily set to 20ms also as it's the fixed packet size for Micro and Nano.

/mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-01-04, 01:45:38 »
OK, thanks, Mike.

Any chance that a firmware update for the control RRC will allow the user to change at least the
packet size and audio quality as the Micro and Nano do? This would help multi-user situations
where some users have lower bandwidth.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-01-04, 09:54:59 »
Sounds a bit odd to me. In most cases the uplink from the Radio-QTH is the critical link, the occasions where the download speed at the control side is limited to less then 512 KBit/s must be very rare. When using the Micro or Nano, the settings are not transferred to the Radio-RRC, The Micro and Nano identify themselves to the Radio-RRC so it can adjust the settings with fixed values. To add more settings to the Control-RRC and transfer of them is more work. The way to solve it today is to use different profiles at the Radio-RRC, which the users can alternate between.

73 de mike
« Last Edit: 2015-01-04, 11:25:30 by sm2o »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2015-01-04, 17:22:44 »
In this case, a couple of users only have about 256k of bandwidth and the others have high speeds. Using a different profile for the radio RRC is not feasible, since we don't want end users in that box. I guess there is no practical way to solve this problem.

I thought that bandwidth requirements were synchronous and the upload speed on both sides is actually the limiting factor?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX