Author Topic: Minimum Internet rerquirements  (Read 4528 times)

K1UO - Larry

• View Profile
    • Email
Minimum Internet rerquirements
« on: 2015-01-02, 23:59:55 »
I have a chance to purchase an excellent RX/TX remote antenna location that nearly 2 acres of dry , flat,  rfi quiet and all open farmland with few neighbors and roadside commercial power.  HOWEVER:  (Yup...there always seems to be an HOWEVER )  the Internet DSL service is at the maximum distance from the local Central Office and the technician, who is a friend of mine, tells me that speeds run anywhere from 760Kbps to 1.1Mbs at that range.  I have asked him to provide an IP address so I can test ping to a spot just past the proposed radio site.  So now..... MY QUESTION IS.....What is the safe minimum range of Internet upload/download speeds I need in order to use the K3/0 and Remote Rig for normal tuning around with  1 active receiver/split ocassionally and cw Mode usually.  Any different speeds when controlling the amp... or switching RX directions on a separate RX array or using different operating Modes for example?
Regards,
Larry  K1UO

K1UO - Larry

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Minimum Internet rerquirements
« Reply #1 on: 2015-01-03, 00:21:44 »
I should add that this slow speed DSL connection is at the REMOTE end...  This end at the Control station is 24Mbps down and 10Mbs up.   The remote site is nearly 24 miles distant (road miles)   The DSL service at the Remote end is over 15000ft from the CO and on what is called extended range circuits.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-01-03, 11:23:50 »
Hi on DSL connections the uplink is the critical part. If you will Use K3 twin with dual RX you need about 360 kBit/s for the audio when using Audio qualty=1. I had 512 kBit/s uplink for several years and that's no problem even when tuning fast. The other things like rotator control, switching antennas etc, do not need any bandwidth, it's just a short momentary need when switching.

73 de mike

K1UO - Larry

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-01-03, 13:36:56 »
Thanks for the information...  The planned radio configuration is the K3/mini and a single receiver equipped K3 at the remote. 

oz1rh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-01-03, 16:48:04 »
Speed is not so important, as mentioned a few 100 kbit/sec up and download is enough, low ping time and low jitter are more important when you stream audio. Check with www.pingtest.net As you are on ADSL ping time and jitter is likely to be OK at your remote site.

Many people try 3G mobile broadband at their remote site, which has ample speed, but sometimes with dropouts in the audio due to long ping time and high jitter. As mentioned in the manual mobile broadband with 4G/LTE works FB. Your router needs to get at public IP address at the WAN side from your ISP. If the router at the remote site only gets at private IP adr (like 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x or 172.x.x.x) it is not possible to connect to it from the internet and you obviously need to connect to your remote site. It does not matter whether the router gets a static (=fixed) or a dynamic IP address. In my country one generally gets a public IP address on ADSL, but on mobile broadband private IP adr are common.

73, Palle, OZ1RH.