Author Topic: Loss of LAN Eth0 configuration  (Read 5539 times)

kc5cyy

• View Profile
    • Email
Loss of LAN Eth0 configuration
« on: 2015-01-04, 19:15:42 »
While getting setup for the February 2015 School Club Roundup, I was testing out the remote paired units when I noticed that I was unable to connect.  I discovered that my Internet connectivity is/was fine.  What was not working was that the radio portion of the remote (SN 5054) was not getting an IP address, reponding to ping, etc.  I repowered the device and the ETH0 LEDs were not flashing and no success etc.  I reset the device and still no network access, I was unable to ping the default address and yes, I set the computer to that block.  Again I noticed that the LEDs on the Ethernet port were not flashing.

I downloaded the Microbit setup configuration.  I connected to the device via the USB connection.  I was able to see the boot load and other data, such as the default IP address.  I modified the IP address to my local network and saved the configuration.  I removed the USB cable, powered the device with a different 12 volt adapter and LAN connection, again no success.  I even went so far as to update the bios file to 2.83, again without success.  So, I have a working control head remote (that I updated while I was at it) for with a TS-480hx radio ... that I use three times a year.

Normally the remotes sit in a case waiting for events I support at the local middle school.  The only reason they were connected was so that could test out my Android phone on the remote -- what a great idea.  In fact, I got it working one day before my day trail period ended - I missed the part about com2 and kept putting the project off.

We have not had any other IP related issues here in the office where the station is located (or other significant weather issues, etc to cause other equipment failures.  I will add that it was working fine while I was testing my android with the device. 

Anyone have any ideas?

Where can I send for testing/repair?

Thanks

Paul - KC5CYY

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Loss of LAN Eth0 configuration
« Reply #1 on: 2015-01-04, 20:25:09 »
Paul,

Is the RRC set to DHCP, or fixed IP?

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kc5cyy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-01-06, 01:03:18 »
Hello Mitch:

It was set up as a DHCP but reserved in the router, so it always received the same IP address.

Paul /KC5CYY

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-01-06, 04:31:23 »
Hi Paul,

That is the best way to do that, preventing most problems that come-up.

What does the status section say when you try a connect? Could you copy/paste
it in here? We need to see what the error message is.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kc5cyy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-01-07, 00:23:14 »
Thank you for the reply...

Attached are the two status reported from the control head.

Again, the radio remote is set to DHCP, but I reset that to 192.168.1.228 so that it would be on my network.  The gateway and dns are 192.168.1.1

One image is in the "normal" not connected the other is while the control head was beeping.

Thank you.

Paul

kc5cyy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-01-07, 00:26:38 »
Mitch, do you have a log of my remotes stay alive or heart beat.  I think that it is set for 1x per 10 minutes.  That might be helpful on my end.  When was the last time the radio remote checked in to the server?

Thank you

Paul

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2015-01-07, 03:37:43 »
Hi Paul,

It looks to me like the control RRC is connecting just fine to the internet and that they
problem is likely the radio RRC's router. I would say the ports are not forwarded correctly.

There is a rare problem that occurs at the control side where the ports also need to be
forwarded in that router as well. This occurs in company locations where a business router
with firewall is installed. That may be the case here. It is hard to tell without seeing your
radio RRC's status page and perhaps the router, but I would guess it lies in on that level
on one side or the other, and not with the RRC's. In general, if something worked before
and stopped working, it is due to a change in the environment and not an RRC problem.
Changing the radio RRC's IP address would also cause this problem if the router forwards
were not changed accordingly.

I think your question is the Dynamic DNS update? You can check that here:
http://www.remoterig.com/wp/?page_id=1481

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

kc5cyy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2015-01-10, 18:04:19 »
I will add that we connected a laptop to the radio control device with a cross connect cable with no network success.

I ordered a replacement from HRO, and with no network changes, strapped it for a TS480, updated the bios, put in the correct IP address, adjusted the minor configuration settings.  The newly purchased unit works fine.

We were going to replace the Ethernet Chip, but it does not look like a common replacement part.  If you have the ability to send me one, I would like to salvage the original unit.  I have plenty of school projects and other remote locations to use these devices.

Thank you for trying to help resolve my issue.

Paul /KC5CYY