Author Topic: Popping noise when CW send ends  (Read 3672 times)

K3TN

• View Profile
Popping noise when CW send ends
« on: 2015-01-12, 00:16:34 »
Using RemoteRigs to remote control a FT1000 - when I send CW and my headphone audio switches from the CW sidetone to the receiver audio, there is a loud popping/clicking/chirping sound, at least 90% of the time.  It is many dB louder than the rx audio, so very fatiguing to listen to.

Seems to happen more with software (such as N1MM function key) sending, not so much with sending CW with the paddle that is connected to the Control RRC.

On the Control RRC, I see under Advanced Settings PTT-off mute delay. But changing that from the default setting of 0 all the way up to 900 does not make much, if any, difference.

Is there some other parameter to set?

Thanks, John K3TN

EI3KD

• View Profile
Re: Popping noise when CW send ends
« Reply #1 on: 2015-01-15, 18:49:59 »
Hi John,

I had exactly the same problem and couldn't solve it using any of the remoterig parameters. The only thing I could do was to turn the rig's sidetone level down to zero, and then the problem went away - I use the remoterig box's internal sidetone anyway. I'm not sure why that  worked because the popping, which must have been snippets of the rig's sidetone output, was happening when the rig was in permanent tx, as seen at the remote control end: I didn't think any audio should have been coming back from the rig in that case because RTP mode is set to "Normal", not "Continuous". It's as if the audio is coming back before the rig is actually in rx mode, but only noticeable on cw?

Regards, Mark
« Last Edit: 2015-01-15, 19:23:10 by EI3KD »

K3TN

• View Profile
Re: Popping noise when CW send ends
« Reply #2 on: 2015-01-20, 11:25:50 »
Thanks, Mark - I will try that. For the FT 1000MP, have to be at the radio site with a small screwdriver to turn the sidetone down to zero. Will actually be down there today to temporarily install my K3 down there (@K4VV) to try remote with a K3 Mini at my home end. When go back to the FT1000, will turn sidetone down.

73 John K3TN