Author Topic: RRC-MicroPC-Client vs. RRC-1258MkII  (Read 13266 times)

LA6BNA

• View Profile
RRC-MicroPC-Client vs. RRC-1258MkII
« on: 2010-07-30, 15:36:43 »
For two weeks I have had a well functioning set-up with RRC-1258MkII in both ends of the internet-connection, controlling an IC-703 at the radio-side. It has not given me any problems or major challenges.

Today I got my RRC-MicroPC-Client which I have installed so that I can control the on/off-function on the radio. But when trying to control the radio by HamRadio DeLuxe (both version 4 and 5) I get an error-message telling me the programme is unable to read the frequency and to be sure that the radio is turned on. (After the programme has tried to read the frequency three times.

I am quite sure that I have written the correct settings. My question is therefore how to set up the MicroPC-client in addition to (and not instead of or altering) the well functioning RRC-1258 to RRC-1258-connection. Is that possible?

Best regards, Geir LA6BNA

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: RRC-MicroPC-Client vs. RRC-1258MkII
« Reply #1 on: 2010-07-31, 23:25:11 »
If you already use a separated control panel and a set of RRC:s to control the IC-703 and also want to control the IC-703 from HRD via the RRC-Micro you must add a CI-V interface between Com-2 on the Radio-RRC and the radios CI-V connector. HRD cannot not control the radio via the Control panel interface.

73 de mike

LA6BNA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-08-03, 16:15:46 »
Thanks for answer. But that is not exactly my challenge. It is just to combine the IC-706/703 set-up on the RRC 1258 at the controller side with the MicroPC-Client set-up on COM2 that bothers me. As a ordinary, simple setup with 2x1258 it functions well, but when I begin adding cables for an additional CI-V-set up I get into trouble. It is certainly ok to set up the speaker connection, and also the connection between COM2 and CI-V-input on the radio. So far the ordinary set-up is working fine. But then what about the MIC? When I try to wire to the MIC on the rear of the radio with a splitter (not decoupling the wire for the front panel contact), I run into trouble. I should like to run the radio without needing to do any rewiring at the radio site, just changing between remote control of my IC-703 (by front panel or MicroPC-client) just by use of the computer (reprogramming the box at the radio site). Is that possible, or do I have to change the wiring at the radio site when changing operating mode at the controller side?

73 de Geir, LA6BNA

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2010-08-04, 12:36:21 »
Hi

I think the main problem is that the radio will not start without having the controlpanel connected to te radiobody, and you cannot have your remote controlpanel connected at the same time as connecting remotely from the Micro-RRC.

My intention is that we should implement some software support in the RRC to solve this more automatic for users of IC-703/706 and TS-480 but it may take a while

In your case you have already connected the mic and speaker audio via the IC-706 separation cable, the problem is the PTT which is not hardware in the existing setup. I think there is a extra ptt input in the 8 pin connector on the back that could be used, but this could be tricky today

73 de mike

LA6BNA

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2010-08-04, 13:19:14 »
Thanks! I guess you are right because I think I have tried all sensible combinations without success. But as both the 1258 to 1258 and the MicroPC-Client to 1258 functions well separately I will use either of these. If and when you find a software solution sometime in future I hope that you will publish it on the website.

73 de Geir LA6BNA

DL5FAB

• Use of RRC and RRC PC Client to remote IC706
    • View Profile
    • QRZ.com
« Reply #5 on: 2010-10-05, 22:40:23 »
I experienced similar problems. I have connected the IC-706 Control Panel remotely and wanted to use the TTL interface for CAT-control in parallel by HRD through using HRD. This only works on the COM-2 interface with external converter V.24 to TTL to CI-V.

Reasoning for this set-up is the possibility to remote control with the IC-706 Control panel while also creating the possibility to control with the PC-Client (for those members of the club not owning a control panel.

Having tried-out the different possibilities today, I gave up with the alternative use between the remote IC-706 Control Panel or the PC-Client and wait until a SW solution becomes available.
« Last Edit: 2010-10-09, 17:56:08 by DL5FAB »