Author Topic: Set up help needed  (Read 4567 times)

W8RID

• View Profile
Set up help needed
« on: 2015-02-14, 19:13:09 »
Trying to setup the RRC-1258MKII.
Trying to follow the "Step by Step" instructions. They are not very helpful.

We have set it up at one location to program both units. Got everything up and running even made a contact on the radio while it was set up that way. Both units worked great ay my location which is the "Radio" location. We separated the units and set them back up all connected correctly. The "Control" unit now cannot find the "Radio" unit.

I have gone through all the steps of the "Step by Step" guide up to 13. That is where everything was working correctly.
Step 14 was a non factor because we are not using any of that stuff.

I have set up the DMZ and the ports for the firewall in my router at the "Radio" site.

I have set up the Dymanic DNS settings on my end. Using the free remoterig dynamic DNS service.

I have put the Own host name from the Dynamic DNS settings into the SIP contact box in the "Control" box set up.

Still am having problems with the radio not turning on and both units not finding each other.

I'm frustrated because I am doing what the instructions tell me to do and the system is not doing what it says it should be doing.

I know there are a ton of setting that I could have messed up. But I'm pretty sure I've got most of them right.

Can someone out there give me a hand with this??

Thanks

Bob
W8RID
 ???
Bob
W8RID

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Set up help needed
« Reply #1 on: 2015-02-14, 19:25:13 »
Can you browse the Radio-RRC using the ddns hostname, so you know that the ddns database is updated and that the DMZ function is working ?

/mike

W8RID

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-02-14, 19:30:52 »
yes, when I put in the Own Host name in my web browser, that was provided to me when I started the Dynamic DNS section,  I get the "Radio" screen for the unit that is at my location.
The "Control" unit is at another location.

Bob
Bob
W8RID

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-02-14, 19:34:29 »
Ok then the only thing you need to do is to copy the ddns hostname string to the SIP contact field. Check that you don't have any spaces or other junk there if you copied the string

73 de mike

W8RID

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-02-14, 19:41:16 »
That is done in the "Control" box correct?
What about the IP address of the control box? When we had both set up here at my location the "Radio" box was 230. The "Control" box was 231. Now the "Control" box is 230. don't know how or who changed it, but I didn't.

Bob
Bob
W8RID

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-02-14, 19:53:55 »
It doesn't change by itself if you use fixed IP, but it doesnt matter, as long as the ip settings are matching the new network.

If you look at the status page of the control-RRC what does it says about dns status ? probably you need to change the dns settings when you moved it.
When you use IP numbers on a local net no dns was needed, You can always use DHCP to be sure

73 de m,iek

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2015-02-14, 20:23:04 »
Bob,

Drop me a short mail at dj0qn (at) darc.de and I will send you my networking checklist that
walks you through the process. This has helped over 300 others get their system up and running
so far.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX