Author Topic: Web passwords  (Read 4711 times)

K3TN

• View Profile
Web passwords
« on: 2015-02-27, 20:31:02 »
I decided to turn on web passwords on the Radio RRC. However, what I see on the RRC is different from the manual.

On the IP settings tab I see Web page user and then Web page pwd fields but then I see additional Web page user(saving) and then Web page pwd(saving) fields that aren't explained in the manual.

I assumed the (saving) fields were for entering and saving username/password, so I entered there. In order to change some parameters after submit/apply, a login box popped up - seemed good.

But the username/password stays in those fields and are visible to anyone who connects. Removing them from those fields then seems to turn authentication off - no login required.

What are the steps to require a username/password entry for editing, without leaving the username and password visible?

Thanks, John K3TN

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Web passwords
« Reply #1 on: 2015-03-02, 09:09:19 »
The "(saving)" pair is used to allow viewing all settings without being logged in, while saving settings will require being logged in. If you are able to see the user name and password for "(saving)" then your browser is logged in. The other pair is used to block both viewing and saving.

So, no, the "(saving)" pair is not visible to non logged in users.
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

K3TN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-03-02, 12:11:13 »
Thanks, Jan - let me see if I understand:

In order to set the username password, I should enter username/password in the (savings) entry boxes? Then, another user will have to enter the username/password into the top set of username/password entry boxes?

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-03-02, 12:30:31 »
Thanks, Jan - let me see if I understand:

In order to set the username password, I should enter username/password in the (savings) entry boxes? Then, another user will have to enter the username/password into the top set of username/password entry boxes?
No, not like that  ;)

The "Web page user" and "Web page pwd" pair is used to enter a user name and password which will prohibit a non logged in user from both viewing and saving the different setup web pages.

The "Web page user(saving)" and "Web page pwd(saving)" pair is used to enter a user name and password which will allow a non logged in user to view all the pages, but will require the user to log in in order to be able to save changes.

None of the user name / password fields are used to perform the log in as such. The log in will either take place by a user trying to go to a page that is locked(if the "Web page user" and "Web page pwd" pair is used) or by clicking the Log in button.

K3TN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-03-02, 14:33:17 »
Got it now - thanks!

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-03-02, 16:07:59 »
 8)