Author Topic: Wireless broadband question  (Read 4062 times)

N4RA

• View Profile
Wireless broadband question
« on: 2015-03-04, 16:32:06 »
I'm still confused about how to get a wireless (cellular) remote working.  A couple weeks ago I asked if anyone was using ATT wireless for a remote data provider.  No replies.  I may now understand why.

I originally tried the basic AT&T wireless MiFi, but there isn’t a static IP address.  After many discussions with AT&T in person, by phone and on-line, I’ve concluded that their mobile wireless is not an option.  A static IP address is not available except as a costly business solution.

Verizon has a free IP address with a $500 initial setup fee, but it looks like the IP address may be on their private network.  I don’t know if that would work.  Their signal strength is poor at my QTH so I’m not pursuing it.

Sprint may have an answer.  I think I can get a simple data plan with a Netgear Aircard (similar to the ATT setup), but they can provide a public IP address for $3 extra per month.

Does anyone have any experience using the Sprint wireless broadband service at a remote site? 

Regards,
Dick
N4RA

W9AEB

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Wireless broadband question
« Reply #1 on: 2015-03-08, 03:04:11 »
I have been using my AT&T personal hotspot on my IPhone with the control RRC unit and am operating remote moble with a 706 and no problems. You must set the DHCP on the IP Setting page to YES.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-03-08, 11:29:11 »
Dick wants to host his radio RRC on AT&T, but the issue is that you don't get a routable IP address. There should never be a problem using RemoteRig from a control location over a cellular network.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

N4RA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-03-09, 18:33:10 »
Thanks for the input.

Mitch is correct; it's the radio end that is the problem.  I think I found a solution worth trying.  Sprint offers a public static IP address as an option to their cellular hotspot service.  They say I can cancel the contract within 30 days if it doesn't do what I need. 

I'm close to giving it a try.  I'll post my results.

Dick