Author Topic: Microbit Virtual Com Ports Usable?  (Read 4187 times)

W1AN

• View Profile
Microbit Virtual Com Ports Usable?
« on: 2015-03-13, 17:05:20 »
I'm trying to configure Microbit Virtual Com ports. Microbit virtual com ports 2, 4, 5 and the RRC1258 Com ports 6, 7, 8, 9. appear in device manager in Win7. I understand what the RRC1258 ports are and use them, but don't know much about the Microbit virtual ports.  If they could be configured for generic serial over ip they would be quite useful, but I cannot figure how to access the configuration. Windows 7 says they are "in use". And after an uninstall they reappear!

Any info on this  would be appreciated.
73, John W1AN

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Microbit Virtual Com Ports Usable?
« Reply #1 on: 2015-03-14, 06:55:49 »
The Microbit virtual Com ports could be used by the RRC Micro software for example.

Another example is one virtual Com port being used by the Webswitch 1216H as a general  remote Com port as described here.

Configuration is done differently depending on their use. If used by the RRC Micro then they are configured inside that program. If used by the Webswitch 1216H then the port is configured using a combination of the Setup Manager program and settings in the Webswitch itself.

How do you uninstall them? Normally it is done using the Setup Manager program.

Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

W1AN

• View Profile
Re: Microbit Virtual Com Ports Usable?
« Reply #2 on: 2015-03-16, 04:13:22 »
OK, I've got it working. The original problem was that the Microbit Setup Manager only installed partly correct. The RRC1258 virtual ports worked correctly. The other virtual ports for the webswitch, etc., did not. Uninstalling MSM and reinstalling twice did the trick. The windows installer complained there was a missing dll that caused the error when trying to configure the serial ports. I did nothing differently. I guess Windows7 eventually figured out how to load and register the dll. I am a happy camper.
73, John W1AN