Author Topic: Sip Contact - Issue with hostname containing numbers  (Read 4050 times)

VK6LD

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi All,

I hope I can explain this to everyone easily.  I changed the DynDNS hostname of my rig tonight and now having issues with the control head contacting that hostname. (I also have the old hostname still active)

My old hostname was abcdef.homelinux.net.

I wanted to use the numerical postcode of the rig, so I signed up the hostname 1234.homeip.net.

I entered the new hostname (1234.homeip.net) into the SIP Contact field of the control head and it won't connect to the rig, I just get the busy tone.  I can reach the web interface of the RemoteRig at the rig end, so I know the DNS is resolving correctly. 

I setup further new hostname using just letters  to be abcdef.homeip.net (no numbers) and this works for both the RemoteRig and the web interface.

Just seeing if there is an issue with the RemoteRig SIP Contact not being able to resolve numbers in a host name - maybe it mistakes them for IP addresses??

Cheers,

Rob...

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Sip Contact - Issue with hostname containing numbers
« Reply #1 on: 2015-03-11, 13:00:28 »
This has been up before. There is a RFC (I do not remeber the number) describing how this should be handled, and it says that a dns name cannot start with a digit, so the RRCs are handle it according to the standards.

73 de mike

VK6LD

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sip Contact - Issue with hostname containing numbers
« Reply #2 on: 2015-03-11, 14:16:43 »
Thank you Mike for your reply.  I did search the forum before posting, but could see anything obvious in English and of course I don't know every RFC either, but I suspected it may have been something along these lines.  DNS does resolve to the numerical hostname however, just not RemoteRig.

I will redo my hostnames without a digital at the front.

73's

Rob...
VK6LD