Author Topic: SIP Connection Fails from time to time  (Read 5182 times)

k3dx

• View Profile
SIP Connection Fails from time to time
« on: 2010-08-16, 21:00:06 »
I've been delighted with the QSOs that I have made using the two RRC boxes and my TS-480. However, I do have an issue with loss of my connection to the radio. I may have perfect receive audio for 30 minutes, and then the "Incoming audio stream fail" red LED goes on, followed shortly thereafter by "SIP connection failed" light, and then the TS-480 panel goes off. A minute later, I can re-establish a connection, but, during that minute, I can't even access the radio's web status page with a desktop PC.  The failure can also occur during a radio transmission, which is more disturbing.

Each time, I can eventually re-establish a connection, and then return to Radio Bliss.

My setup is fairly standard, except that I use SIP port 5090 instead of 5060, because this guest house has a Motorola SBV5120 cable modem with a telephone connection. (The telephone was not in use when these failures have occurred. I have no idea which ports are used by the modem. Motorola is not much help.)
The cable modem is connected to a Belkin router, which has 2 LAN connections - desktop PC (on, but no one at the keyboard) and the RRC1258 Control. There are no wireless connections during this time.

Am I the only one with this experience? What can I do about it?

73, Dave - K3DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: SIP Connection Fails from time to time
« Reply #1 on: 2010-08-16, 21:17:40 »
It sounds like a typical ADSL problem.

the connection with the telephone station is lost and the ADSL modem reconnect, it use to take about 30 secs here in Sweden.
when you loose connection check status LED.s on your ADSL modem. It's difficult if it's in the radio end of course.
You can use a freeware like pingplot if you wan't to have some statistics.

73 de mike

dj4mz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2010-08-17, 09:09:47 »
Hi Dave,

Mike is right! I've had exactly the same problem you are describing. After replacing my (only 2 year old) ADSL+ Modem by a new one the problem is completely gone! I was lucky as the damage was on the control side :).

73 Simon (DJ4MZ)

k3dx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-08-19, 16:00:57 »
Mike & Simon... thank you.
After returning from holiday, I took the RRC & TC-480 front panel to a friend's house ~ 5 miles away from my home.  The connection was perfect.
This tells me that it was the cable service at the guest house that was the problem, and not MY home cable ISP, modem, and Linksys router. That is a good thing!

I am also happy to report that, even from the guest house, I received excellent TX audio reports. One ham, who knows my voice in person, said that, after listening to the remote-controlled TS-480, he may have to buy the equipment, too.

73, Dave - K3DX