Author Topic: Dayton RemoteRig Questions  (Read 5548 times)

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Dayton RemoteRig Questions
« on: 2015-05-06, 13:38:58 »
Microbit will not be attending Dayton. If anyone has a question, you are welcome see me and I will do my
best to answer your questions. The RemoteRig hardware will be sold at the HRO booth.

I will be working about half the time at the ARRL Expo on the DARC booth, the other half of the time
wandering around. I can be reached for a week at my U.S. cell number 424-288-9171 (starting May 10th).

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

WC2L

• View Profile
Re: Dayton RemoteRig Questions
« Reply #1 on: 2015-05-07, 01:36:46 »
Hope to meet you at Dayton!!

Will WC2L

W4PGM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-05-07, 13:38:00 »
I have one question,  has there been any thought into putting a light browser into the RemoteRig so that hotel logons are easier?   I have found that about 50% of the hotels block the portable access points such as the Netgear WNCE2001.   If there was a browser that would bring up the logon page it would alleviate the issues. 

Paul de W4PGM

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-05-07, 13:44:22 »
There is no way to implement that feature, unfortunately. However, I do not understand why, or even
technically how, a hotel would block an external WiFi card such as the WNCE2001. It appears to the
network the same as any computer's internal wireless card, so there is no reason why it would not work.
Just that it is always a bit of a pain to make it work.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

W4PGM

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-05-07, 14:10:29 »
I have had the issue a a number of hotels.   The Netgear will not pull an IP from this hotel's system to get on the logon page (it is plugged into the computer via the wired port) but will pull one at other hotels or public wifi such as Publix which is a few hundred feet from the hotel.  I was on with Blueprint RF technical support, the supplier to this hotel last evening, and they made a point that they system does not allow for an access point to connect. The minute I told him the model he made that statement and gave me a list of others that would not work.   I get the 169 IP Address when I try to connect to this hotel. I have to believe them since it does not at this hotel.  As an accommodation they did take my MAC address and IP and put the remote rig on without the need for a logon page.

I guess I do not understand the statement that it is not possible.  There are a number of products that have light browsers built into their hardware/firmware/software that allows for  this functionality.   

Paul de W4PGM

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-05-07, 14:25:44 »
Here is the answer straight from the horse's mouth:
http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=3576.msg16440#msg16440

Again, there is no logical reason why the WNCE would not work. A radius server or wireless access point
can not tell the difference between an external and internal wireless network card. Something else must be
wrong. I have used the WNCE2001 for years in many environments in many countries without a problem.
Sometimes there are compatibility issues with network cards and routers that cause problems, but that can
affect any kind of wireless network and is usually solved by firmware updates (usually on the router side).

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

ae3t

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2015-05-08, 03:02:09 »
Mitch,

I will be at Dayton and also hope to meet you.
Howard AE3T