Author Topic: Is anyone remoting an FT1000d? I have a few simple questions for you.  (Read 12122 times)

KC0YHM

• View Profile
    • Email
I'd like to talk to someone using RR and the old Yaesu radio.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Hi what do you want to know ? maybe I can help you even if I do not use FT-100 myself

73 de mike

KC0YHM

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello.
I have used HRD and SKYPE for years but I like the idea of simplifying the system and ending the reliance on SKYPE.
--
Years ago I purchased a CAT cable to connect my FT1000D to a PC running HRDeluxe.
Here is the link to the item.
http://www.hosenose.com/store/productDetail.aspx?ProdID=5661&PrimaryCatID=45&
--
Is this the correct cable to use between the RR Box and my radio?
--
I have set the serial settings on the RRboxes to Com1 inactive Com2 parallel to Com0.
8b-2s-0parity is set for Com0 and Com2 in all instances.
The CAT system of the 1000 operates at 8/2/0
--
Am I on the right track with the serial setup?
--
Mike
« Last Edit: 2015-05-10, 15:52:22 by KC0YHM »

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
You should set "program mode" to 3 and "com 0 program mode 3 char timeout" to 60. The other settings are correct

it's difficult to say if the adapter works without schematics, the only way to be sure is to make a cable between the PC and the adapter which only has pin 2,3,5 connected and test direct from the PC.  Some adapters uses other dsub pins to steal power from and they will not work with the RRC, but in this case my guess is that it will work as the FT-1000 can deliver power to the adapter.

73 de mike

KC0YHM

• View Profile
    • Email
Thank you for the help with the setup items.
--
I will build a CAT cable today and see what happens.
--
Thanks Mike

KC0YHM

• View Profile
    • Email
Mike...
Attached is the detail of the CAT connection to a FT1000d.
How would you wire the cable from Com2 of the RR to the CAT connector?
--
I connected pins 2 and 3 RR.... to pins 2 and 3 CAT.
I connected pin 5 RR to pin 1 CAT.
I stopped there.
What would you do?
--
Mike

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Hi. it was not what I meant, first try with the correct settings. Then if it does not work i suggested you to make an extension cable with a male and female 9 pin dsub but with only the wire 2,3,5 in place. This cable should be placed between the PC and the CAT interface you have just to test if the the CAT interface use any of the other d-sub pins to steal power from the PC. As the RRC cannot deliver power on the other pins, it's just a test to see if the cat interface can be used.

73 de mike

KC0YHM

• View Profile
    • Email
OK... I will try that this morning.
--
I spoke with several stations last night using the RR system audio. [RX & TX]
The audio in my headset was great and I received good audio reports from people who know me well so that part is working nicely.
--
Half way there...
--
Thanks.
Mike

KC0YHM

• View Profile
    • Email
Mike.
So far, no CAT control.
I cut a serial cable in half and only reconnected pins 2-3-5.
I put it in-line, with my existing CAT cable, between my PC and the Radio...no joy.
--
Next, I tried the cables using RR.
The results were the same with or without the cable I/we created.
No Joy.
I experimented with DTR and RTS setting.
That created 4 conditions to test.
The best result I ever had was 2 flashes of the CAT COMMAND indicator on the Yaesu.
Under normal CAT control this light blinks rapidly/constantly.
--
Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: 2015-05-11, 18:48:51 by KC0YHM »

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Hi

If you cant control the radio if you connect the 2,3,5 cable between your PC and the radio, then the problem is the adapter. it's difficult to say what you need to to do without  a schematic, probably you need to connect external power,  12V to some of the pins, probably to pin 1,4,6 in the direction to the the adaptercable.

/mike

KC0YHM

• View Profile
    • Email
Doesn't look like anyone else has ever done this with a 1000d.
I was hoping a message would pop up and tell me 'what worked'.
--
I've ordered a new cable to connect the RR to the radio.
Hope it works.
I'm not sure what else I can do.
--
What would you do?

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
The cable you show in the post before, they say it's powered via DTR, it vill not work unless you provide 12V to the DTR pin as I wrote about before. I think it's unusal to remote control such a old radio as FT-1000 probably as the CAT interface is slow and limited in it's functionality. As far as I remember I have helped one guy before but I think he had the orginal CAT interface box which was sold with the radio.

/mike

KC0YHM

• View Profile
    • Email
Hello Mike...
Please read this message from the gentleman selling the CAT Cable and tell me if you agree with his suggestion....or see a problem...I like OPTION 1.
Thanks
Mike
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The FT-Cable-3 does require the RS232 port DTR to be set ON 100% of the time.
I have not come across Remoterig before so I just checked the set-up and manual. It does seem that it cannot set the DTR line. In fact from what I can glean from the manual, it is not connected at all internally in the remoterig unit.
---
So you have 2 choices and one is depending on how brave you are.
Option 1. Assuming Pin 4 (DTR) line on the 9 pin D-Type on the remote rig unit is not connected internally, you could pop a link wire from this pin of the D-Type to the 8v TTL line that is available on one of the RJ45’s. This will power the interface. This means no extra external wiring.
I would have a measure of the voltage on Pin 4 of the remoterig unit D-Type Pin 4 to make sure it is not sitting at some level.
--
Option 2. Open the FT-Cable-3 and take the PCB out of the shell. Pin 4 goes to a surface mount diode on the board. Wire in your DC feed to pin 4 here. 5v or the available 8v will do. Bring the new power wire through the cable clamp and fit it all back together.
--

KC0YHM

• View Profile
    • Email
I have decided to press on. Here is the simple surgery required.
As noted in option 1 we are connecting to a voltage source, in this case 9.8vdc and sending it to the CAT cable on pin4.