Author Topic: Serial Port and PowerMaster  (Read 4283 times)

Billmorton

• View Profile
Serial Port and PowerMaster
« on: 2015-05-15, 16:39:19 »
I have my Remote Rig up and working just fine for several years (FW2.85 on both sides) first with an Icom 706 and now with Icom 7100....till now. I decided to try to use Com Port 1 to communicate with a Power Master meter at the remote site. I turned on Com 1 set it to Mode 3 in both the control and Radio box. Changed the Baud rate to 19200 on the meter and the two Remote rig boxes (8N1 unchanged). I changed the setting in the power master software to reflect the 19200 and the FTDI com port of 7. At that point I was ready to connect, but can not get a com port connection - radio connects fine. I had both boxes in one location for this test-they connected fine to the radio, just no apparent com 1 communication. To insure cables (Serial and USB/Serial) where correct and good I connected the Power Master through the serial cable and used a gender bender to connect to the FTDI serial to USB cable I would be using - it connected fine to the software. I have changed from Mode 3 to Mode 1 on both boxes - no change, still no connect. Don't see where any of the other modes would be applicable? I use an Icom 7100 so not using any of the com ports currently.

I know I must be missing something....just not sure where to go from here? Any help would be appreciated!

Bill
W4ASE

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Serial Port and PowerMaster
« Reply #1 on: 2015-05-16, 21:40:48 »
Be aware of the pin config of COM1 as both are Female and have the same pin config, you need to make the cables with that in mind. Mode 1 and 3 are the correct modes to test with

73 de mike

Billmorton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-05-16, 23:49:03 »
So are you saying a straight 1-1, 2-2 etc, 9 pin cable M-F factory cable is not correct? It almost sounds like you are saying Null Modem?

I will check the pin out  - is it not standard?

To test as I indicated I did use a gender bender to connect the 9 Pin serial coming from the power master to the 9 Pin USB to Serial (FTDI chip) and that communicates. Just when I hook the two 9 Pin male ends to the Remote rig Boxes I get nothing. 

I can't find my 9 pin LED indicator for a com port (for some reason I have two 25 pin ones) or I could provide more information on transmit and rec.

Billmorton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-05-18, 15:08:07 »
Problem Solved

It did take what amounts to a Null Modem at the radio side. reversing pins 2 and 3. Using standard cable at the control unit. Now the Power Master is talking and working just fine. Should have thought about the reversing the DB9 tx and rec - Thanks Mike for pointing me in the right direction.

Bill
W4ASE
« Last Edit: 2015-05-19, 15:40:41 by Billmorton »