Author Topic: Regular missing dots or dashes on CW  (Read 5168 times)

Bob G3PJT

• View Profile
Regular missing dots or dashes on CW
« on: 2015-05-19, 15:13:25 »
Hi
I think that others may have had this problem but I am not clear as to the fix.
If I send a stream of dots about every 2 to 3 seconds the transmission misses a dot. Sounds like something is polling the link .
The setup is K3 twin and as the remote and the control are on the same network it's rather easy to hear the effect.

Any ideas where to start?

73 and thanks
Bob

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Regular missing dots or dashes on CW
« Reply #1 on: 2015-05-21, 17:46:55 »
Hi Bob,

The same issue with my TS-480 setup. It gets worse when my Internet connectivity is not perfect, but even when the Internet is just fine the CW is never perfect. As you said, if you send a long series of dots, you will hear the issue. The error may occur every 10, 20, or 30 seconds... but eventually the error does occur. Search this forum for various CW optimization settings, but I'm uncertain if error-free CW can be achieved. Has anyone achieved it?

73 Marvin VE3VEE

Bob G3PJT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-05-21, 21:35:43 »
Hi Marvin
Thanks for the reply - I originally thought it was my poor sending  :)  but I now have  used  a PC generated mesage to check. And there are quite a lot of errors from time to time.
Originally I never thought to check what was actually being sent rather than what the sidetone said.
Unusable on CW at the moment I am afraid. OK on SSB though, I think.

73 Bob G3PJT

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-05-21, 22:05:53 »
In most setups error free CW is possible, increase the LF delay to ocmpensate for Jitter. If packets are totally lost on the internet connection there will of course be errors that's nothing you can do anything about.

73 de mike

Bob G3PJT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-05-22, 17:30:26 »
Hi Mike,
I already increased LF delay to max and it made no difference.
Must be the internet then

73 Bob G3PJT

G4TSH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-06-30, 20:42:37 »
Hi Bob,
Have you set up priority for traffic for RRC ports on the router at the station end?  Sometimes called QoS?  I found this helped, but it is not an option on BT Homehubs I have found, so new router is required.
Some traffic like HTTP browser traffic will still blast through I find, so if you are sharing the connection at the station end and someone or something else in the household is using the WAN you get stuffed anyway.

Justin

py2sex

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2015-08-08, 06:29:19 »
I have the same problem here, some time miss a dot or extend a dot becoming a dash... I notice people asking my call several times as well as to repeat number during contest. I try to change configuration but I still have the same problem. Now WAE is happening and I'm avoiding to be in the contest. I started but still bad my CW there. For voice, no problems..

Alex
PY1KS | PY2SEX | DL1NX