Author Topic: Remote Rig Featured in June RSGB article  (Read 3660 times)

Gerryb

• View Profile
Remote Rig Featured in June RSGB article
« on: 2015-05-24, 14:52:41 »
Radcom RSGB magazine this month, i.e, June 2015, has my article which I wrote a over year ago about using RemoteRig_RRC1258-MkII twin in Antarctica as VK0GB.

Alas here in QLD Australia, tropical climate may have got to the same setup I used in the cold.   

I was back in the UK in April and tried to use the system from there to hear in Oz, but it turns out that the latency is just too long for front panel connection.   Now back in  Australia, testing it locally on the LAN and I find the 857D head does the same as it did when attempting to connect from the UK,  Flash, beep and nothing more.

All seems well, green steady lights and the units seem to see each other, but the radio end cannot hold the connection when I turn on from remote.  The remote end  857's head flashes and beeps but no connection.   The 857 clicks three times and stops.   I did factory resets, replaced firmware, changed power supplies.  No difference.   Any ideas?   It was working well on the LAN before I left for the UK.   The 857d connected with its head alone works fine.

Gerry
G3WIP/VK4BGL

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Remote Rig Featured in June RSGB article
« Reply #1 on: 2015-05-25, 16:58:00 »
Hi

Im sure it's a great story about Antarctica.

Have you checked the most common problem with FT-857 setup ?

The power supply, If the Radio-RRC and the Radio is connected to the same PS aven if it's a 30A PS the FT-857 makes a short circuit which cause a resrart of the RRC

73 de mike

Gerryb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-05-27, 03:54:06 »
Thanks.  Yes aware of that issue, but using 2 different power supplies, and the 1258 supply is 1.5A
Tried 2 others.. To be double certain tried 13v batteries on each one.   I usually blame power supplies or connections...

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-05-29, 17:14:37 »
Ok an easy way to check if it's reset is to check the uptime. Are you using our factory made cables and the jumper pcb (not red wires ) ? If there is no data communication it can behave like that, The start signal activate the radio but if no data is received the radio switch off automatically. If you have the red wires check them with an ohm meter. Also remember that the control cables must be connected with the yellow marked ends to the RRCs.

73 de mike