Author Topic: Lost connection  (Read 4091 times)

w1asb

• View Profile
Lost connection
« on: 2015-07-06, 13:29:56 »
I have working setup of TS480 and every once in a while connection got lost and sometime I loose all devices some only a few to get back to normal working stage I have to access remoterig boxes with microbit setup and unchecked dhcp put any ip save it then go back set it again with dhcp and all working again .Very strange, but disconnection is once,a month once 3 months but already happen at least 5 times and even power cycle doesn't help.Any suggestions? What I notice that in net tab ip changes  but even with this if dhcp is checked unit should be pulled remotely with no problem ,if I assign reserved ip in my router will help? Remote  router is xfinity and I can provide all info if someone wants to check my setup .
Thanks
Adam

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Lost connection
« Reply #1 on: 2015-07-07, 07:02:33 »
HI

Don't use DHCP at Radio end. There is no reasons to use DHCP there. If you absolutely want to use DHCP you must reserve the IP address in the router.

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-07, 08:48:59 »
Mike,

There are a lot of routers that will not allow a port forward unless the router provided the IP address through DHCP. Of course, then you must bind (reserve) the IP address when doing so. In addition, I found routers that would not forward the ports even if it appeared that you could give an IP address into the port forwarding table without using DHCP, as if the RRC is invisible.

This caused so many problems, that my checklist recommends using DHCP and binding the IP address. This is the only way you can know 100% that it will work under all circumstances. The only time problems occur is when the user forgets to bind the address under DHCP.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-07, 10:14:43 »
I have never seen or heard about a router which not allow portforwarding to non DHCP addresses. But I believe you Mitch. I guess it's the crap the ISP ship for free to their customers, it never happens with the major brands available on the open market.

73 de mike

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-07, 10:17:30 »
Hi Mike,

The Fritz!Box is the most common type, but many others only allow drop-down menus of DHCP devices to set port forwards as well.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX