Author Topic: TS480 noise during TX  (Read 4894 times)

db2gm

• View Profile
TS480 noise during TX
« on: 2015-07-09, 22:28:09 »
Hello
I have setuo a remote rig link between my home and my company site where I have installed TS480 transceiver with remote rig and two antennas.
At home I just have the TS480 front panel and the remote rig.

Everything works perfect win receive mode with the TS480, I can hear a lot of stations.
Buit if I switch to transmit , so use PTT and microphone to transmit, then I get full transmission of noise not reacting on my voice for the output power., I can adjust with the MIC level function the output power from low to high but it is just noise modulating the TS480.

I have rad in the forum that others also had that problem and that earthing was sometimes a solution.
I have put the TS480 transceiver and the remote rig unit on a aluminum packet which is connected to ears and both TS80 and remotrig unit is also connected via special cable sot the earthing point on the aluminum plate.
I have also connect ferrit cores both at microphone cable and control cable between the remote rig unit and the TS480, both cables are less than 10cm short and as I said protected by ferret cores.

So I think I have already done a lot but there was no improvement on the TX side. It is obviously noise which comes into the TS480 and modulates the unit in that set-up
I have tested the direct connection between TS480 transceiver and TS480 control unit and then it works correctly, modulation is then ok.

I appreciate any new idea or advice how to cure that problem and and solve it.
Thank you very much for your assistance and help
vy 73 de Michael DB2GM

Can somebody help me with some advice how to cure that problem.

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: TS480 noise during TX
« Reply #1 on: 2015-07-10, 08:38:56 »
Hi
Have you tried to reduce power to minimum or using a Dummy load to verify that you get any audio trough the system, using FM is also a good way to check. My guess is that you have missplaced or broken some of the red straps. Check the placement again and if it's correct check the straps with an ohm-meter.

73 de mike

db2gm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-10, 12:15:07 »
Ok Michael
I will do so and come back to you
Thanks for the advice
vy 73 de Michael DB2GM

AD8J

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-10, 14:54:12 »
I had a similar problem which was solved by using separate wall warts for each piece of equipment.

db2gm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-10, 23:26:30 »
Thank you for the additional good recommendation , I am already using a separate 12V power supply for the Remoterig itself and for the TS480 transceiver.

So this is already implemented.#
vy 73 de Michael DB2GM

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-07-13, 13:08:06 »
Hi Michael,

I have tested the direct connection between TS480 transceiver and TS480 control unit and then it works correctly, modulation is then ok.

Than the issue is not at the remote tower site, but rather the problem must be at the control (home) site. Unclean power would be my first suspicion because I have experienced the exact issue when attempting to use my TS-480 control head from a car with an inexpensive power inverter. It worked just fine as long as nothing else was connected to the inverter, but as soon as I started to charge my laptop via the inverter I got a LOT of noise in my audio.

Could you power your control-RRC with a 12V battery just to test it?

73 Marvin VE3VEE