Author Topic: Power on for Expert 1K-FA  (Read 5792 times)

k3avr

• View Profile
    • Email
Power on for Expert 1K-FA
« on: 2015-07-29, 15:05:42 »
Connected remoterig S/N 6225 Com 1 to Expert 1K-FA using remoterig cable specs.  Expert control program works remotely except will not remotely power on the amp.  All other expert 1K-FA functions work fine.  Expert says I need a long pulse of more than 5.0 VDC on pin 4 at the amp RS232 DB-9 to power on.  This is the pin 8 on the RCC-1258 MKII cable which stays at 4.98 volts after RCC-1258 is powered up and does not seem to change when program on cycle is pressed.   Note I am using the USB connection between the computer and RCC-1258 MkII.

My remote station uses a Kenwood TS-480HX and 2el Steppir , still to be connected to Com 2 of Rcc-1258MKII.

Can anyone help?
Saludos de Bogota,
Jim HK3AVR / K3AVR
James HK3AVR

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Power on for Expert 1K-FA
« Reply #1 on: 2015-07-29, 17:53:44 »
Hi

Have you activated CTS/RTS for com1 ?

73 de mike

k3avr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-07-29, 18:15:05 »
Hi Mike,

Yes the CTS/RTS on both RCC's are on.

COM1 mode 3
COM1 baudrate 9600   
COM1 data bits 8   
COM1 stop bits 0   
COM1 parity off
COM1 rts/cts   Yes
COM1 terminator Od   
Use USB Com Port as COM1   

4.98 volts never changes and is being supplied by RCC to pin 8.
Thanks for the quick response!

James HK3AVR / K3AVR
James HK3AVR

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-07-29, 19:13:24 »
I have never tested with USB on control side but Im sure it works with a ordinary serial cable

73 de mike

k3avr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-07-29, 21:54:24 »
Hi Mike,

Tried DB-9 COM 1 of control RCC in place of using the USB and found no change.   All Expert remote control functions work, except power on.  I eliminated the amp as a problem buy unplugging the serial cable from Radio RCC and using a 9 Volt battery from pin 5- to pin 8+ and after a couple seconds the amp powers up.  It seems that 9 volts is just enough and any less will not cause the expert amp to power up.   What voltage should be seen on pin 8 of radio RCC to power up the expert?  Is pin 8 to be 5 volts normally when radio link is established and then rise, to say, 12 VDC to cause startup of amp? I guess I can try COM2 using the same cables to see if the amp will power? 

James HK3AVR / K3AVR
James HK3AVR

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-07-29, 22:26:46 »
Hi

You cannot use com2 , com2 has no CTS/RTS signal.

5V is normal voltage for a active signal. I have never heard that the 5V output is not enough to start the PA. If you PA do not start with that you have to build some interface in between to get higher voltage. A optocoupler or two transistors for example

73 de mike

k3avr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2015-07-30, 14:22:50 »
Mike,

Thank you for the work around suggestion and your patients.  I need to understand quickly the problem as I am traveling to the USA in a couple days and may have to take defective equipment with me for repair.

Below is from Page 29 of the Expert 1K-FA protocol manual.  http://www.radio-ham.eu/download/1kfa/EXPERT_Protocol_2.pdf

"It can be noted that, in addition to the canonical TX, RX, and GND, interfacing lines, the DTR control line is connected as well.  It is used to turn the amplifier on by simply raising it to a voltage level greater than+5 VDC (in software terms it is the equivalent of activating the line into its on state."

Maybe I was wrong about needing much more than 5 VDC, but testing shows the 4.98 VDC on the radio RCC Com1 pin 8 will not turn on the amp.  A nine volt battery on this pin will turn on the amp , but as the protocol manual says it will take about 2-3 seconds to sequence to on state. 

Love my Remotrig systems and have set up systems with AK4QP, HK3AA, and K5AW.

James HK3AVR / K3AVR
James HK3AVR

k3avr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2015-08-04, 13:25:53 »
Mike,

Found a work around to power up the Expert 1K-FA when TS-480 is turned on.  It is described in the Expert 1K-FA manual in diagram 13.2 page 36 called remote on link.  Taking 13.8 VDC and GND from TS480 external antenna tuner connector to power Pin 8 with +V and Pin 4 GND of Expert DB15M CAT connector, will power the Amp anytime the radio is turned on and all other functions are remotely controlled with Expert Console software.  See attached diagram.

James HK3AVR / K3AVR   :)
James HK3AVR