Author Topic: Working Remoterig Mobile  (Read 9108 times)

Mitch

• View Profile
    • 108AT101
    • Email
Working Remoterig Mobile
« on: 2015-08-13, 12:32:45 »
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me I have Remoterig setup at my flat and works great. I but would like to know how I could set up Remoterig from Kenwood 480 in the car with a Dongle to laptop.

Has anyone done this before, I have seen many videos of Remoterig stations working in hotels with routers but none yet that I can find when working mobile station.

Regards
Gary
Please stay safe. Best 73,   
Gary

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Working Remoterig Mobile
« Reply #1 on: 2015-08-14, 11:05:18 »

Gary,

I haven't tried the dongle option, but I do often use my Control-RRC and my TS-480 control unit in my car. I have made QSOs with several DXpeditions this way SSB and CW. Of course the quality of service will depend on your mobile internet speed, which will vary depending on your location, but I find it usable. I occasionally use it also from various internet hotspots (restaurant parking lots, etc). 

73 Marvin VE3VEE

Mitch

• View Profile
    • 108AT101
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-08-18, 03:34:13 »
Hello Marvin.

I have now managed to work the Control-RRC and TS-480 control unit from my car and works great from a Wi-Fi Repeater to my phone with unlimited phone service.   Would like to know if it’s possible to buy another second Control-RRC and leave it on my Router at all time’s in my flat and only need to bring up the TS-480 control unit.

73 Gary
Please stay safe. Best 73,   
Gary

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-08-18, 11:50:08 »
Mitch,

I'm glad it has worked for you from your car!

I have also been toying with the idea of either buying another Control-RRC + TS-480 head unit or trying the RRC-Micro PC Client. You have a very good question, though. Would the Control-RRC at home need to be unplugged for the Control-RRC (or RRC-Micro) in our cars to work? I don't know.

73 Marvin VE3VEE

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-08-18, 12:00:24 »
The control RRC's are available separately. You can use an unlimited amount of control RRC's, but only
one at a time. The other one(s) must not be connected to the radio RRC. This is the same scenario as
in a multi-user situation.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: 2015-08-18, 12:18:58 »
Mitch,

Thanks for the prompt reply!

When you say "The other one(s) must not be connected to the radio RRC", do you mean it must be literally unplugged from the wall or from the network completely, or is it simply necessary that the "tcvr" is turned off at the second (e.g. home) location?

So for example, both (or multiple) Control-RRCs can be pluged to the wall and plugged to the network all at the same time, but only one of them can actually turn the "ON" button on the TCVR and use it? If this is how it works, all is good and we wouldn't have to try to remember to actually unplug our Control-RRCs before leaving our homes... :-)

73 Marvin VE3VEE
« Last Edit: 2015-08-18, 12:23:23 by VE3VEE »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2015-08-18, 12:41:25 »
Hi Marvin,

ON on TS-480 control panel = connected
OFF on control panel = disconnected

If you forgot to disconnect, use your phone's web browser to access the radio RRC and do a reboot.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: 2015-08-18, 13:07:32 »
Mitch, THANKS for clarifying it for me!

SM5DXU

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-08-19, 09:46:50 »
Another solution is to connect the control RRC to the mains power outlet throgh a remote operated Smart Plug. I'm using it to connect my remote radio and all remoterig units to mains.
The Smart Plug is operated from an app on the smartphone.

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2015-08-19, 10:41:00 »
That is actually the method I use, but I didn't want to make it too complicated and force him to spend  more money at this point. I agree that an IP power strip should be an integral part of every remote station, but

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2015-08-19, 10:43:19 »
That is actually the method I use, but I didn't want to make it too complicated and force him to spend  more money at this point. I agree that an IP power strip should be an integral part of every remote station, but
I hit my send button on my phone by accident.

but they need to get things working as simply as possible before moving to the next stage.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX
Another solution is to connect the control RRC to the mains power outlet throgh a remote operated Smart Plug. I'm using it to connect my remote radio and all remoterig units to mains.
The Smart Plug is operated from an app on the smartphone.

SM5DXU

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2015-08-19, 18:31:21 »
If thunderstorms are expected, the Smart Plug is not sufficient. Then my "Smart Son" unplugs the antenna cables and the rotor cable on site. My remote QTH is in his home...
This part of the solution is not easily duplicated. ;)

VE3VEE

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2015-08-19, 20:19:11 »
I've found no "Smart Son" on Amazon, eBay, etc. It must be something "home made", LOL :)

SM5DXU

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2015-11-18, 17:45:09 »
I've found no "Smart Son" on Amazon, eBay, etc. It must be something "home made", LOL :)
Yes, almost 44 years ago!

K0NM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2015-12-14, 19:29:43 »
I have been using the TS-480 head and the RRC 1258 with Wifi for a couple of years. I use the Hotspot from my iPhone to connect to the Internet. It works great. It is pretty neat to be able to tool down the road with no antennas showing and work my home rig with a huge antenna and 1KW. I have been signing as K0NM/MR for mobile remote. Nizar K0NM