Author Topic: Remote Rig and Yaesu Rigs  (Read 4254 times)

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
Remote Rig and Yaesu Rigs
« on: 2015-08-14, 16:39:51 »
Hello to the group. My apologies if this has been raised before. I have a question regarding the use of remote rig and Yaesu rigs. I am a bit confused as to which of the remote rig units to order (i.e. stock or the Twins version) even after reviewing the information on the remote rig web site.

I am planning to purchase the remote rigs over the next day or so and would like to pick the right one for my application.

I am planning to use either a Yaesu FTdx 5000 or a Yaesu FTdx 3000 in conjunction with the units. My first question, is is it possible to use the 3000 to control the 5000 or vice versa? I do not see this as a supported combination on the website. This would tell me that it is not possible, however I wanted to be sure of this point before I order my units. If it is supported,  then I assume I should pick up the Yaesu Twins version of the units with all cables and power supplies required.  If it is not possible to control the above rigs in either direction (i.e. FT5K with the FT3K and vice versa), if I purchase the Twins version of remote rig, am I able to just  use the remote rig unit to control one of the above rigs simply by using software without a radio at both locations? Further, would the Twins version allow me to use say a Yaesu FT-2000 to control either the 5K or the 3K?

Once I get the answer to the above questions I will be ready to proceed with purchasing the remote rig units.

Thank you very much in advance for your information and advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards 73

Serge
VA3SB

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Remote Rig and Yaesu Rigs
« Reply #1 on: 2015-08-14, 20:38:27 »
Hello everyone. Alittle more reading and research on my earlier question.

I again reviewed the information on the Yaesu Twin on the Remote Rig website today. It clearly indicates that the 5K cannot be controlled by a 3K (this is also what Mike indicated to me a couple of weeks ago in a response to a query I made - thank you).

From what I understand, I would be able to use the Yaesu Twin boxes to control the 5K with either a FT-950 or a FT-2000. I assume that I would would also be able to use the same Yaesu Twin boxes to communicate either with the 5K or 3K without using two radios (at the remote/control positions). Is my understanding correct?  If so I am prepared to proceed to purchase the units and keep an eye out for a FT-2000 :-)

Serge
VA3SB

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-08-14, 22:20:54 »
Yes. All your assumptions are correct, and there is only one type of Remoterig boxes, they are only sold together with dfferent cables etc.

73 de mike

Serge_VA3SB

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2015-08-15, 18:17:10 »
Thank you very much for your response Mike.

Appreciate your feedback. I will be ordering the units on Monday.

Have a great weekend.

Serge
VA3SB