Author Topic: Internet Speed  (Read 2937 times)

K2AZ

• View Profile
    • Email
Internet Speed
« on: 2015-08-14, 23:56:24 »
I am using a RRC-1258 with a Elecraft Mini. What internet upstream and downstream speeds should I be using. My ISP offers 12Mpbs download and 896Kbps upload speed. Is that adequate? I get some blocking and delay at these speeds. I tried closing all other programs and services with no success. The download speed should be OK. The upload speed is fine for transferring  files but what about ongoing dynamic uploads such as when continuously  poling the receiver for frequency, mode  and other radio changes? The delay and blocking can make reception difficult if not impossible at times. I am fairly certain it is an internet issue.

John K2AZ
k2az@q.com

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: Internet Speed
« Reply #1 on: 2015-08-15, 00:46:21 »
Hi John,

Some other threads covered this, e.g.: http://www.remoterig.com/forum/index.php?topic=1740.msg7430#msg7430

In your case, you should have more than enough bandwidth available. Note the following:

- The RRC's use the bandwidth symmetric, i.e. the same both up and down. The ISP's market the down speed, but the
bottleneck is usually the up speed. In your case it is adequate.

- You can optimize the bandwidth, for example use the audio quality 0 codec instead of 2, since it occupies half the bandwidth.
I can not tell the difference under SSB or CW

- The main problem is latency and not speed. Bad latency makes the remote operation very difficult. You can only partially compensate
with buffer settings.

- Some routers given by ISP's are pure crap and cause more problems than I can describe. I have debugged dozens of RemoteRig installations
and routers caused many of the problems. In several cases, they had to be completely replaced to make the connection work. It is therefore not
always an internet issue, the router should be the first place one looks for problems.

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX