Author Topic: Gateway vs Router  (Read 3296 times)

N4RA

• View Profile
Gateway vs Router
« on: 2015-08-31, 01:58:37 »
I've had some frustrating internet problems that put my remote transitioning on hold.  I'm getting back to it now. 

My remote QTH only has cellular broadband, but my carrier (ATT) does not provide an IP address or routable incoming data.   I've been researching Sprint as an alternate carrier.  They have a public, static IP address for an extra $3 per month.  I have been unable to get a straight answer about the inbound data from their retail staff or customer service.

I just discussed my requirements with Sprint Advanced Support and was assured that Sprint has what I need, but not with their basic hotspot/router (they call it Zing).  They recommend the Netgear 6100D gateway.

Does anyone know if a gateway will provide the necessary connection for the remote rig remote controller if I have an appropriate IP address?  I still have a little doubt that the Sprint support understands what I need, partially because my explanation may be weak.

Thanks, Dick

N4RA

• View Profile
Re: Gateway vs Router
« Reply #1 on: 2016-02-11, 19:57:38 »
Update on Sprint cellular capability.

Although I had a difficult time getting answers from Sprint relative to my remote radio application, I finally felt comfortable enough to purchase a Netgear 6100D gateway plus the Sprint public, static IP address ($3 extra per month).  There was virtually no info on how the service works.  Netgear tech support was more helpful than Sprint. It turns out that Sprint downloads all the WAN-side info directly into the gateway.  I had to add the port forwarding data.

Bottom line is that it works well on LTE.  I now have my basic remoterig K3/K3-mini working at my remote QTH.  Haven't had to do any parameter tuning yet.

Next step is integrating a Lantronix serial port server (WiBox WBE2100E) to provide rotator and amplifier interfaces.

See you on the air.

Dick

Thanks to everyone who provided direct (or indirect) help.