Author Topic: Power Out strange behaviour  (Read 6195 times)

dj1aus

• View Profile
Power Out strange behaviour
« on: 2015-09-03, 23:16:26 »
Hi all,

I'm running a pair of RRC-1258MKii with my IC-7200 on the remote location quite a while and I'm overall quite happy.
Only problem is - If I operate in classical SSB Mode I realize my power is not getting out.

I did a short video to explain what I'm talking about.
My settings on the RRC are mostly standard for ICOM so nothing special.

Perhaps someone can help.

Thanks

Alexander
DJ1AUS

dj1aus

• View Profile
Re: Power Out strange behaviour
« Reply #1 on: 2015-09-03, 23:18:17 »
I'm sorry I couldn't attach my video because it's 2,1Mb(compressed) and the upload limit is 2 Mb.

So if you want to see the video visit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nqfi32o8rzj7jhf/Test%20RemoteControll.mp4?dl=0

It would be really great if you could give me some hints.

Thanks
DJ1AUS

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-09-04, 08:02:33 »
Im sorry but I don't understand what you mean is the problem ? as I understand from the film you get power out.

73 de mike

dj1aus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2015-09-04, 09:47:15 »
Hi Mike,
yeah - when I whistle I get real power (122W) out but when I just speak and even when I scream into the mikrophone maximum power out is around 40W mostly around 12W.
I can change the Mic Gain on the transceiver to whatever level but it doesn't change it.
I'm not sure about the Codec Inp Gain or Codec Out Gain but I hope I can tweek this setting to achieve higher power out with normal SSB instead of just whisteling.

Hope this explains it a little more.

Thanks for your quick response.

Alexander

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2015-09-04, 10:02:47 »
40W sounds like a resonable power indication when talking compared to a whistle, the standard settings gives almost 1:1 transmission trough the system so you should not need to adjust anything. Have you listen to the output so it sounds OK, if you have a missplaced or broken red strap it maybe just hum or RF feedback going out then the readings can be strange.

73 de mike

dj1aus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-09-04, 11:41:10 »
Hi Mike,

I do get good audio reports, but the signal strength is more likely low compared to the others.
As you can see on the video the Tuner gets very seldom in the area of 100W and strangely when I use the Icom RS-BA1 Software to connect to the Remote Station (so without the Remote RIG) I reach sometimes (depending on the loudness) 112W but with Remote Rig never.

When I use the Remote Rig for CW the Values on the Tuner are also getting easily to 100W and above. Only if I'm talking and making classical SSB Calls it's low.

Perhaps we can make a test on 20m so you can give me a "real" report with Remote Rig and RS-BA1 in comparison.
20m or 40m should be ok to sweden. I will be in the HomeOffice this afternoon around 12:30 UTC.

Thanks for your help!

Alexander

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: 2015-09-04, 13:31:04 »
Have you activated the preamp in the Control-RRC ? If your friends says it low I beleive them, but you should compare with the mic connected direct to the radio and mic connected via remoterig. Audio generated by the PC can have a totally different level. I do not hear about others having problem with ICOM mic levels, default works fine as far as i know.

73 de mike

dj1aus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-09-04, 16:13:02 »
Hello,

Yes, the PreAMP is turned on by default and is on - no change by the way (tried it with disabled) but the same change.
On sunday I will be on the local site and can do some tests with mic local and laptop with RRC.

Alexander

dj1aus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2015-09-06, 13:45:49 »
Hi,

Today I spent around 2 hours in front of my transceiver at the "remote" location doing some tests with direct connected microphone HM-36 and the laptop with a computer microphone and the "local" RRC Unit.

When transmitting with the HM-36 I still don't get over 90W when speaking normally into the mic but still much higher than with the RRC connected locally (LAN) and speaking into the normal Computer microphone connected to the MIC connector where I maximum reach 35W power out on the tuner.
Very strange! I really can do whatever I want. Whistling in the mic produces on both ways (direct connected HM-36 and the RRC with computer mike) 122W power out on the tuner but talking or even screaming into the RRC Mike won't produce more than 36W (it's very difficult to track because the digital Display from the Tuner refreshes very fast)

Any idea where I can tweak the system?

By the way - I removed the video again from my dropbox - if someone wants to see it again - please contact me directly.

Greetings  from the cold southgermany.

DJ1AUS

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2015-09-06, 13:53:19 »
you can incease the mic gain in the control-rrc, see manual, but I think it's strange that only you need to do it

73 de mike