Author Topic: iPhone HotSpot Connection with RRC-1258 MKII  (Read 5669 times)

w9ac

• View Profile
    • Email
iPhone HotSpot Connection with RRC-1258 MKII
« on: 2015-09-25, 22:37:43 »
I can almost never get my RRC Control unit with Wi-Fi to search/find my iPhone's Personal Hotspot connection.  Is there a trick to this?  It finds all other Wi-Fi just fine.  Mine, the neighbors, etc., just not the iPhone.  I've tried using the microbit setup program.  My other Internet appliances do find the iPhone hotspot.

The first issue to resolve is scanning and finding the iPhone on the RRC.  Later, I'll engage DHCP once it can even find it.

RRC is on current firmware 2.87.  Latest RRC hardware.
iPhone 6 running latest ios.

Ideas?
« Last Edit: 2015-09-26, 00:16:03 by w9ac »

dj0qn

• View Profile
    • DJ0QN / K7DX
    • Email
Re: iPhone HotSpot Connection with RRC-1258 MKII
« Reply #1 on: 2015-09-26, 00:28:14 »
Maybe the iPhone's hotspot ist at 5 GHz? The RRC can only use 2.4 GHz. Wild guess  ;)

Mitch DJ0QN / K7DX

w9ac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: 2015-09-26, 01:43:30 »
Mitch, thanks for your quick reply.  It is fixed (for now),  After searching the Apple user groups, someone had a similar problem.  The suggestion was to re-name the iPhone, especially if it was upgraded from a previous model (mine was).  After changing the iPhone name, the RRC sees it now.  Possibly something becomes corrupt in the upgrade but I don't see why that only affects some Internet appliances and not all.  Hopefully, it's a permanent fix!  Time will tell.  Right now, Sprint LTE service is like being on the LAN. 

Paul, W9AC

K7FL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: 2016-01-10, 07:03:25 »
Hi Paul ... did renaming solve the problem permanently? I am having a problem connecting with the iPhone 4 hotspot with no success. As with you, I can connect other other wifi connections quite successfully.
Dennis, K7FL

w9ac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: 2016-01-11, 13:09:32 »
Mostly works fine.  Sometimes I have to "fiddle" with turning the hotspot on/off and rebooting the RRC, but always manage a connection with my iPhone 6.

Paul, W9AC

K0NM

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2016-04-22, 23:28:09 »
I have the same problem with my iPhone hot spot and the RRC wifi connection. I called Apple and they said that the hotspot only becomes active once there is a request to use it from the device. So, turning the rig button on sometimes helps to activate the hotspot connection. K0NM Nizar