Author Topic: Electret microphone with TS-480SAT  (Read 4482 times)

K1IKE-Joe

• View Profile
    • Email
Electret microphone with TS-480SAT
« on: 2015-10-02, 14:24:54 »
I decided to pick up an inexpensive mike off of eBay for my RRC control unit.  It turns out that the eBay mike uses an electret mike element.  The electret mike evidently works when connected directly to the TS-480SAT, but not when connected to the Control RRC.  I wired the 8 volt lead in the Control unit to pin #2 of the mike connector and put JMP1 on, but it still does not work.

Am I missing something, or is it not possible to use this mike on the RRC Control unit for the TS-480?

Joe, K1ike

sm2o

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • sm2oan
    • Email
Re: Electret microphone with TS-480SAT
« Reply #1 on: 2015-10-05, 09:16:40 »
Yes it's possible, ICOM setups using electret mic which are powered over the mic wire, look at the strapping for ICOM that may give you a clue how to solve it. As I do not have any schematics for the mic you are trying to use I cannot help you much more

73 de mike

K1IKE-Joe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Electret microphone with TS-480SAT
« Reply #2 on: 2015-10-05, 14:01:24 »
Thank you Mike for the reply.

I tried the Icom option using JMP1 to supply 8VDC to the mike but it does not work.  The Kenwood replacement mike wants to see +8VDC supplied over the AUX/MIC jack, pin #2.  I strapped the +8VDC on the header from PIN#2 (POWER(8V)) to PIN#16 (AUX/MIC PIN#2).  This should have supplied the +8VDc needed to power the electret element.  What may be missing is the ground return inside the mike.  I'll try to get the schematic for the mike, as you suggested.

Thanks, Joe, K1ike