Author Topic: Volume Adjust on Phone Not Adjustable  (Read 13445 times)

wb9ayd

• View Profile
Volume Adjust on Phone Not Adjustable
« on: 2015-10-10, 05:16:49 »
Version 1.3.7, Nano Kenwood will not allow for volume adjustment on phone or tablet. The app volume slider works fine but not the controls built in on a Samsung S6 phone and Samsung  S tablet. It appears to be disabled so if the device's volume is turned down no audio is heard with slider all the way up in the app.

Gary
WB9AYD

roland

Re: Volume Adjust on Phone Not Adjustable
« Reply #1 on: 2015-10-10, 10:21:08 »
The volume slider doesn't change the volume of the phone. It only change the volume of the radio it self. Think of it as a remote volume control of the radio volume knob.

wb9ayd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2015-10-10, 15:09:34 »
Agreed but in previous versions the volume adjustment worked. If someone has accidently turned down the media volume on their phone and tried to use the app slider for volume and discovers no audio there is no way to turn the phone's media volume up as it is disabled while the app is running.

Gary

roland

« Reply #3 on: 2015-10-10, 15:36:44 »
Thats something i will have a check on first thing on Monday.

roland

« Reply #4 on: 2015-10-12, 08:28:49 »
Hi. Monday morning.

Yes you are right. This works for Elecraft, Yaesu and Icom but not Kenwood.
Will se what that is all about and make an update when its fixed

Thanks

wb9ayd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2015-10-12, 21:24:36 »
Thanks Roland!

roland

« Reply #6 on: 2015-10-13, 06:53:21 »
Its fixed and released yesterday

wb9ayd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2015-10-22, 05:10:47 »
Has 1.3.8 been released to the App Store? Nothing has shown up yet in the store.

Gary

roland

« Reply #8 on: 2015-10-22, 08:17:41 »
Sorry. A mistake by me. Published now

DJ9PC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: 2016-02-02, 18:43:01 »
hello Roland, the nano software 1.4.0 upgraded itself and I tried again with my Samsung S5 today. Everything works perfect except the modulation of transmitter. It sounds as audio bandwith is only 1kHz and the mike gain is very high/overdriven. the receiving audio is perfect. wen I use RRC micro with laptop, transmitting is perfect. I get best modulation reports.
With smartfone and same settings ( mike gain of TS 2000 very low ) transmission is hard to understand. Any idea how mike level and frequency response can be adjusted between mike and APP / output ? skype sound is o.k. no one complains.

Peter DJ9PC / EA8BFK

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: 2016-02-03, 08:37:55 »
Hi Peter,

Roland has retired and I have taken his place on the throne of apps  ;)

Which version of Nano are you using? And from which version did it upgrade?

Though regardless of that I cannot see how the upgrade would be able to cause such a strange behaviour. Is it possible to adjust the microphone's volume on your phone?
Always include type of hard/software and version when asking for support.

DJ9PC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: 2016-02-03, 12:00:01 »
hello Jan,
I do not assume that it has something to do with the upgrade. It was from the beginning when I tried to use RRC nano with my smartfone Samsung S5.
After using the RRC micro for 3 years successfully and always received good modulation reports, ( can receive my own signal back here in Germany ) I tried to use it also with smartfone and RRC Nano.

So after some "childrens deceases" all handling workes fine but the audio quality of transmission was bad. too narrow bandwith and too much audio gain. the audio reception always was perfect.

I discussed this issue with Roland since nano S+K and the last version I installed manually was 1.3.4

I tried with an app for android that has a function like gain control and equalizer but this gave no change either ( maybe works only for radio reception ). I still assume that the digital stream that is received at remote site has this problem already. otherwise it would not work perfect with micro 1274 A.

So is someone using a Samsung S5 that works o.k. ? I would not mind changing the smartfon type. I am prepared to make a test QSO with someone to show the difference in sound between micro and nano. My remote rig in Fuerteventura ( EA8BFK) is QRV from 80m to 13cm. 20m or 17/15m should work to Sweden during daylight always if you have a receiver to listen......

I get 1kW output to a 4 element beam and get full output with 1274 A as well with nano k.

Maybe you have an idea how to solve the problem. Thanks in advance, Peter DJ9PC

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: 2016-02-11, 08:53:49 »
I have been thinking about how to help. I came to think about that you could try using a Bluetooth headset and see what the audio quality is like then.

DJ9PC

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: 2016-02-15, 13:02:15 »
hello Jan, I ordered the original bluetooth headset from Samsung and tried it. Sorry no improvement.

I found that the sensitivity of the mike is same, much too high and because of that even if I speak less loud than you normally do into mike, it is distorted.

while testing and listening to my signal, a station called and I answered. He said that my modulation is hard to understand. That is what every radioham wants to avoid.......

Do you know any method tu reduce mike gain in a Samsung 900 device ?

73s, Peter

Jan (Microbit)

• Software Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: 2016-02-15, 14:00:23 »
You mentioned that Skype works ok, but have you tried recording audio using sound and/or video recorder apps?

It seems there are ways to adjust mic gain levels, but they require the phone to be rooted.

Btw, you are mentioning both Samsung S5 and 900? Two phone with the same problems? (Do not know much about Samsung's phone, hehe)